is the wool to thin ?

littlehook13

Question

So today my nan picked me up a number 7 crochet needle which is 14mm. but she only had wool in, so i have been using that and youtube videos to practice

also how big or small does each chain have to be because i am under the presumption it has to be all the same. it seems like the wool im using is very very thin and maybe thats why its causing me problems and if i do it to big it looks out of place but if i do it small it looks okay but terrible to get my hook though

here is a few pictures tell me what you guys think and also if size of each chain matters

20131106_195854_zpsc562c976.jpg

20131106_195838_zpsd79eb3e2.jpg

20131106_195608_zps178c1849.jpg

5 answers to this question

Hi Mark, welcome to the ville :hook

Is the hook 14mm or do you mean 4.5 mm?  I would expect a 7 to be 4.5 mm.  I think this chart is pretty accurate http://www.karpstyles.com/crochet/hook-chart.html  (are you in the UK?)  edited to add:  never mind, i see htat you already posted that you are in the UK.   :blush

Are your photos 3 different chains, or 3 views of the same chain?  The top one looks the most consistent to me.  Consistency is important, and is something to strive for, but also we are not machines so there is usually going to be some variation.  The variations will kind of work themselves out too as the finished object is washed and dried, and used.  

Don't be too tempted to make your stitches super tight, it is very important to be able to get the hook back into the stitch on the next row or round.  Just keep practicing and things will become more consistent over time.  

here are a couple of my favorite sites for crochet info http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html

http://www.nexstitch.com/v_crochet_videos.html

Hi thanks for the quick reply :), yea the needle is a 4.5 mm, yea the pics are all of the same chain :), it does seem to be a small problem when it comes to doing a double crochet with the wool being really thin. is it possible to get thicker stuff to begin with ?

Just keep practicing on your chain stitches, and they will get more consistent.  

You can use any size yarn you want to learn and practice with.  For a 4.5 mm hook, I would say that DK weight is about right.  here is a reference for UK names for yarn weights and some appropriate hook sizes.  This is just a reference point, everybody is a little different so we shouldn't confine ourselves to the recommended sizes.  Also, yarns really don't fall into exact categories, there is a lot of overlap.  

Maybe your Nan still has the label from the yarn you are using, or knows the name of it.  the label may not have a crochet hook recommendation on it, but it probably has a knitting needle recommendation. and if there is no lable available, if you know the name you can look it up online. Usually one would use a hook .5 to 1 mm bigger than the recommended needle size.  

Yes, chains should all be the same size. 

What i do to even out the tension in a long chain is to grip one end and slide my fingers down the length of the chain stretching it out.  (Like if you were trying to curl Christmas ribbon).  This will elongate the yarn and when it bounces back the tension will be even along the length of it.

Eventually, your chains will all be about the same size. That comes with practice. Even after forty-five years, my chains aren't all completely even when they're first made. The more they're handled, the smoother they get, and also, almost any project will look more even after it goes through the wash.

If it still worries you, get some non-superwash wool and make something that's intended to be felted. You can't see the stitches at all after they felt :) and I've had a lot of beginners make some pretty nice things that way.

Archived