k8e308

Question

I am interested in making some covers for cloth diapers, but I've no idea where to start. 

There are patterns for covers and soakers - are these the same thing? 

Some seem to be functional for cloth diapers and some decorative, perhaps for covering disposable diapers - how do I tell the difference for sure?

I understand that wool is a great fiber to use for these, but can you use any others?  A wool allergy runs in my family, and while I didn't get it and don't mind making some covers out of wool, I don't want to risk my baby being allergic or not being able to be held/changed by certain family members because I have all wool covers. 

I know that the time to make a project can vary greatly, but does anyone have a rough estimate of how long it would take to make a single cover?

1 answer to this question

Hi K8e308

I'm not sure how much help I can be, as I've not made diaper covers myself, and before seeing them on ravelry I'd never heard of 'soakers'... 

Your second question - I think the main thing will be to choose one you think looks suitable and then have a go, once you've made one, you'll likely have a better idea from looking at any other patterns whether it will suit your purposes. 

With regard to your choice of yarn - most patterns are fairly interchangeable with the yarn used - AS LONG AS its the same weight, i.e. worsted weight, DK, 4ply etc. As long as you stick to the correct weight it more often than not won't matter whether its acrylic or wool fibre for example. Remember to make a swatch first to check your gauge too. 

And finally, the timescale... this really is dependant on a whole number of factors - the difficulty of the project, your own pace at crocheting, the ease of the working with the yarn you choose - to name but a few. Again, by jumping in and making one you will likely get an idea on how long a pattern might take you compared to the one already made. 

I hope that helps a little - and good luck with the projects :) 

Becca

Archived