Mrs. Beeton's "long" stitch

ssPaints

Question

I think this has been a topic before, but I don't know that anyone really answered it. In her d'oyley patterns,what exactly is this "long" stitch?  Between HeirloomKnits and her descriptions I know (converted to US): slip=slip (and I believe single crochet), chain=chain, double crochet=sc, double long=hdc, treble=dc, treble long =tc.  I guess this is right, but she uses  this unexplained "long" stitch frequently, so it has to be something specific.  Has anyone figured it out?  I'd really appreciate if someone could give me a clear answer!

Thanks, ss

4 answers to this question

Doesn't she define here stitches?  I'll do a search and come back, but off the top of my head I've done a couple of very old doily patterns from the 1840s (not Beeton's) that called a US SC=plain stitch, and US DC=long stitch.

But, the terminology was all over the place back then so Beeton might be different...

edit, here's the crochet portion of her book from Antique pattern library

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/pub/PDF/BeetonNeedlework185-442.pdf

My 'modern' = US terms below

Her slip stitch is the same as the modern definition except it shows it being worked thru the back loop.  Working thru the back loop seems to be common for old doilies of that era.

Her double stitch is modern SC except thru back loop (illus 220) and thru both loops (illus 221)

Her long double (225) is HDC thru back loop,

Her treble (226) is DC thru back loop.

Her long treble (227) is TR, her double long treble (228) is DTR

http://books.google.com/books?id=CDIEAAAAQAAJ&lr=&source=gbs_summary_s&cad=0

The above is where I thought the doily with the 'plain stitch' came from but she (Corneia Mee) defines the US SC as a double crochet. Her LONG stitch, however, is a US DC.

edit, it appears that Madam Riego de la Branchardiere is the one (or, one that I've encountered) who defines US SC as plain stitches-see page 33 of 36 here http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/pub/PDF/RiegoCro18.pdf

Her single stitch = slip stitch

Her plain stitch = SC

Her treble stitch = DC

Her Long stitch = TR

Her Extra Long stitch = DTR

So....Long stitch depends on the pattern writer in the middle of the 19th century it seems.

oh, don't I know how different these Victorian patterns are!  In the past week, I've learned more than I ever considered I'd want to know about antique patterns: they all use different terms.  Thanks for the info!  the "long" stitch Beeton calls for remains a mystery because if a double long is an hdc, wouldn't a regular long be a sc? but the sc is called double crochet.

I'm convinced it's a separate stitch, but I just don't see how it fits in with her instructions at the beginning of the crochet chapter.

example D'Oyley 1-no 6: 1 double crochet, 7 long, 6 double, 6 long, 5 chain, 6 double long, 1 double crochet, 7 chain

I've compensated by moving up a stich. So double=sc, long=hdc, double long =dc. This seems wrong and there are patterns with many long stitches, and seems to bunch oddly (although that may be my yarn). And I don't know what I'll do if and when I come to a treble. I guess i'll just keep blundering on and hope it works out :) I'd still love to hear from anyone with a better idea.

Archived