I don't understand these directions!

jo@bertier.net

Question

I have the following directions and tried to follow them but I don't think I am making this 'round' correctly.  Can someone please help me understand what I am supposed to do.  Many thanks, Jo

I am to create a chain 33 stitches long.

Then the directions read as follows: Round 1 (RS) 5 dc in 4th ch from hook (beginning ch counts as first dc), dc in next 28 ch, 6 dc in next ch, turn to work the opposite side of the foundation row, dc in next 28 ch, join with sl st in top of beginning ch - 68 dc. 

I don't understand what ' turn to work the opposite side of the foundation row'.  Since it is a round, I am working in a round so I am crocheting in a circle so I don't understand how to turn my work on the opposite side of the foundation since this is all a circle.  And since I am new to crocheting, I could be messing up all of the directions. 

Help Please! 

5 answers to this question

When you crochet into a chain, there is a loop left at the bottom, where you crocheted into it.  When you crochet the 6dc into the last chain, you will notice that it makes a half circle.  The end of the chain that you did the 5dc in the fourth chain, should now be to the left of your hand, instead of the right.

I hope this helps.

You are making an oval. When you get to the direction to turn, take the piece you have crocheted so far and lay it on a table. Position it so that the 28 dc are at the top, facing away from you. Now pivot the piece around so the 28 dc are at the bottom, facing toward you. The opposite side of the foundation row is facing away from you, at the top, and this side of those chains is what you crochet into. The two spots where you have six dc in one stitch are forming the curved ends of the oval.

This question gets asked really frequently as it is hard to visualize from a written description :hook

Archived