Blanket pattern need help

Amethyste

Question

Hi I have got a pattern for a blanket (written in american) that says

CH 102

R1 DC in 2nd chain from hook and then DC in each stitch across. CH2 and turn

R2 DC in 1st Chain from hook, CH 1, Skip one stitch and DC in next, repeat till end of row, Chain 2 and turn

R3 DC in each stitch across. Ch 2 and turn

R4 DC in 1st chain from hook, CH 1, skip one stitch and DC in next, repeat until end.

My problem is at the begining : DC in 2nd chain, DC in 1st chain,...is that not expending ??

Cos i havent been crocheting for very long but a double crochet ( uk treble) takes 3 turning chains and starts in 4th chain from hook ??

So it would also start with 103 CH too ?? 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you ;-)

9 answers to this question

Did you type it exactly as it appears in the pattern?

Are you certain it is using US terms?

Where is the pattern?  if it is free online give us a link, if in a book/magazine or a paid pattern tell us the specifics so those of us who have it can refer to it.  

You are correct that the US dc usually does have 3 turning chains.  

I don't see where it says "DC in 2nd chain, DC in 1st chain".  round 1 says "DC in 2nd chain from hook and then DC in each stitch across"  which means to dc in the 2nd chain from hook and in each chain after that.  

Hi, thanks for your reply ;-) I bought this pattern on my kindle but it is available on etsy : http://www.etsy.com/listing/116977946/pattern-crochet-baby-owl-blanket?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=owl+blanket&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=IE&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=owl+blanket

I put a picture of the page. Yes, i have double checked it is in american,.

"I don't see where it says "DC in 2nd chain, DC in 1st chain".  round 1 says "DC in 2nd chain from hook and then DC in each stitch across"  which means to dc in the 2nd chain from hook and in each chain after that.  "

Oh no, what i meant was, i dont understand why it says R1 : "DC in 2nd chain from hook".. R2 : "DC in 1st chain from hook" . If i start DC in 1st or 2nd chain from the hook then i ll end up with extra stitches no ?

Well it is unusual to have only one turning chain for US dc, so if you want to you can make 3 turning chains.  you would need to add 2 to your beginning chain.  But looking at the photos of the blanket on etsy, it looks as though you can really have any number of stitches across and the pattern will still work...it is one row of dc/ch1 mesh, and one row of all dc so the stitch count is not crucial as far as i can see.  

ok ;-) So is the pattern right then?  I am gonna give another go then ;-)  Thank you for the help

I think it is a poorly written pattern. For one thing, after the first round, you are making your dc into a stitch, not into a chain. But you are correct, it is wrong when it tells you to chain 2 at the end of a round for the turning chain, then to start the next round by making a dc in the first chain from the hook. You are right that if you make a stitch into one of the turning chains, you will be adding stitches.

Does the pattern give you a stitch count at all?

Unfortunately, due to copyright issues, I've had to edit the original post to remove the image taken from the pattern.

Amethyste, if you still need assistance, you're welcome to type in the one row of instructions that you're having trouble with.

Archived