Pattern Assistance Please

Jayashiangel

Question

The pattern is here One Skein Basic Filet

I am having lots of issues I think it all the extra things going on in the pattern this type of pattern I am very NEW to can you assist me? I really love picture of the steps but they didn't have pictures so I am out of luck hope you can assist me

Chain 5, join with slip stitch in first chain to form beg loop chain 5, join with slip stitch in first chain to form beg loop

I used a magic circle

Row 1: chain 4 (counts as beg chain 3 plus chain 1 now and throughout) dc in beginning loop, (chain 1, dc) twice, turn.

So I chained 4 & then DC in the loop then I chained 1 then I DC again in the loop so I should have  for a total of 3 (dc chain ones?) IS THIS RIGHT?

Row 2: chain 4, dc in same stitch, (chain 1, skip next chain, dc in next dc) across to last dc, chain 1, (dc, chain 1, dc) in top of beg chain 3, turn

So Chain 4 (Dc plus chain 1) and then Dc in the same stitch (chain 1 then skip the chain one space and Dc in the DC space???) across to the last DC, chain 1 (dc, chain 1, dc) in the top of (chain one space of the beginning chain, turn (how many should I have now???)

I am also using K hook and Caron Yarn Thanks for all your assistance

5 answers to this question

Hi,

i just pulled out some yarn and tried this

row 1:  after you make your "magic circle"  the chain 4 counts as 1 dc/1 ch then you do another 1 dc/1 ch then you do another 1 dc/1c you end with a ch...so that's a total of 4 dc, and 3 ch spots. (dc   ch 1    dc   ch1    dc    ch1     dc)

row 2: chain4 (counts as 1 dc & 1 ch) then you do another dc & ch in the same spot (this first end has 1 dc, 1ch, 1dc 1ch) then you do a dc / ch in each dc and at the end it's a dc ch dc..6 dc and 5 ch

this basically looks like you start every line ch 4 (dc/ch 1) and then you separate each dc with a chain, when you do you last stitch on each row, you just don't do a chain at the end  (dc, ch1, dc, ch1, dc)  each end (start and finish will have a dc/ch1/dc) in it,

hope i didn't confuse you more...

this may help you...

most (not all) patterns will be in a format

like the one you were working on....what ever in in the first spot, will be in the last spot. so if you cut your pattern in half,

the second half is in the reverse of the first..

the one you were working on:   dc, ch1, dc, ch 1, dc, ch1, dc (the chain 1 is the center)

second row (dc, ch1, dc ch1 in first stitch), dc, ch1, dc, ch1 (dc ch1 dc in last stitch)

please notice that after the center "ch1" you have the same stitches on each side.

to help you along (which did on some patterns) i placed a stitch marker in the center of the row i just worked on, and moved it up with each row, just to be sure i was doing it right.

Happy Crocheting..

Row 1: ch 4 (counts as beg ch 3 plus ch 1 now and throughout) dc in beg loop, (ch 1, dc) twice, turn.

You should only have 4 dcs in Row 1.  If you want to do 5 go ahead.  It's really not going to hurt much as long as you have a ch1 between each dc.

Written out it looks like this:  l - l - l - l 

or if you want to be really technical it's the first and last increase (each increase is actually a Vst) separated by a ch1:   \ - /  -  \ - /

Technically, this isn't filet.  It's a simple mesh st that sort of mimics filet.  It's also not written well.  It's confusing.

It's a triangular shawl.  That means that you need to increase on each side on each row.  The first and last set of stitches are V stitches.  This gives you your increase while keeping the look of the pattern.

------------------------------

Row 2: ch 4, dc in same st, (ch 1, skip next ch, dc in next dc) across to last dc, ch 1, (dc, ch 1, dc) in top of beg ch 3, turn.

I can see how this line can be really confusing.  I'll break it down:

The 1st increase:

The [ ch 4, dc in same st, ] in the beginning of Row 2 is a beginning Vst.  Out of the ch4 - the first 3 chains pretend to be the dc, the 4th chain pretends to be the ch1 and then the dc in the same stitch completes the Vst.

-------------------------------

The body:

The [ (ch 1, skip next ch, dc in next dc) across to last dc ] is the body of the shawl.  Basically, all you're doing is putting a dc in each dc and a ch stitch on top of each ch st.  There's any number of different ways this part could've been written but it comes down to [ (dc, ch1) in each dc ]  It's a simple pattern that's easy to follow - you dc in the dcs and you don't dc in the chain spaces.  Just because it's simple doesn't mean it's not pretty.

--------------------------------

The last increase:

The [ across to last dc, ch 1, (dc, ch 1, dc) in top of beg ch 3, turn. ] tells you that after you work the body and get to the last dc, which is the last stitch - you're going to do something different. 

Because the body of the pattern was written with a (ch1, sk1, dc in dc) you'll first need to add the ch1 that separates each dc.  Then you work your Vst (dc, ch1, dc) to do your last increase to complete the row.

It says to work this Vst into the top of the beginning ch3.  Originally, you were told to ch4 for your beginning ch.  You're not working into the top of the beginning ch (which was a ch4)  You're working into the 3rd chain of the beginning ch4.  The 3rd chain is what is pretending to be the top of the first dc.  If you worked directly into the top of the beginning chain you would be putting the last Vst into the ch sp instead of into the pretend dc.

-----------------------------------

To change the beginning and last increase to a border:

If this part is too confusing - just ignore it.  I'm just throwing it out there for you in case you'd like to add a border while you're making it.  Some people get less confused when working with a solid border.

In the pattern- the first and last increases are Vsts.  (dc, ch1, dc).  Each Vst consists of 3 sts.  If you wanted to create a border along the edges of the shawl while you're making it instead of adding it later you could change the first and last increase to 3dc instead of (dc, ch1, dc)

that would look something like:

magic loop,

R1- 3dc, ch1, 3dc

R2 -(ch3, 2dc) in same/1st dc, ch1, sk next dc, (dc in next dc, ch1) across to last 2 dcs, sk next to last dc, 3dc in last dc.

Row 2 would break down into (3dc, ch1) in the very first st for the 1st increase instead of the Vst.

Then you (dc in dc, ch1) all the way across the body of the shawl.  Each row gets progressively longer. 

The you skip the next to last dc and work 3dcs into the very last st which is the turning chain pretending to be a dc.

Archived