pineapples are easy?

lene

Question

(Imagine the following is squeaked out in a pathetic, weak little quavering voice, ok?)

"Help me..."

I'm trying to get the hang of this pineapple thing, and I know it's dead simple, and I'm *still* screwin' it up! :lol I'll copy the first 3 rows of the pattern below, so you can see what I'm doing...

Here's what I'm trying to do -- I want to make the pineapple bookmark only with just the fat pineapple part, and not the tail. Since it looks like this starts at the tail, I skipped ahead to the part that says "pineapple." (Brilliant, eh?) Since I'd be starting from scratch, as it were, I chained 6 and slipped into the first chain to make a loop, then started working into that instead of into the tail bit. But I don't seem to be able to get the numbers right -- I guess what I need to know is, if I start this way, do I start with a chain 3, then how many dc do I do in the loop, then another ch 3 to turn? I like patterns that tell you how many stitches you should end up with at the end of the round/row, so I can double-check myself, and since this doesn't tell me that, I'm messing things up.

Then down in row 3, I *think* I get what they mean by "dc in next dc, not in first one," but guess I'd best check to be sure -- they mean I need to skip the dc closest to the ch 3 I just made at the end of row 2, and work into the 2nd dc from the hook, right?

<sigh> I feel like such an idiot. Why this should be so baffling, I don't know, but either I'm totally miscounting things, or this pattern is off in its counting.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lene'

Elegant Pineapple Bookmark (first three rows)

Designed by Julie A. Bolduc

Materials Needed

Small amont DMC Traditions Crochet Cotton size 10. Lavender.

Size 6 steel crochet hook

Instructions

Tail: Ch73. Dc in 8th ch from hook. *Ch2. Sk 2 chs. Dc in next ch. Rep from *

across. You should end with a dc in the last ch.

Pineapple:

ROW 1: Ch3. Work 7dc in end space. Dc in starting chain. Ch3, turn.

ROW 2: Dc in first dc. Ch1. *Dc in next dc. Ch1. Rep from * 7 times. 2dc in

top of ch3. Ch3, turn.

ROW 3: Dc in next dc. Not the first one. Ch3. *Sc in next dc. Ch3. Rep from *

7 times. Dc in next dc and in the top of ch3. Ch3, turn.

2 answers to this question

Hi Lene,

If you haven't already figured this out, I think this is what is going on with the pineapple.

Row 1: There need to be 9 dc's altogether with the first ch 3 counting as the first dc. If you have a loop, start with a ch 3, and then do 8 dc's in the loop. Then proceed with the turning chain 3 (which counts as the first dc in row 2)

The confusing part for me, was I missed the last dc in the starting chain mentioned in the book mark pattern.

Row 3: I am pretty sure what they mean here is that, rather than dc in the same dc immediately below the turnng chain, which is expected in row 2 (which makes an increase - giving 11 dc's in total in row 2) - in row three, you do not do this. Rather, after the turning chain, you dc in the very next dc (as you normally would do when not making an increase.)

I hope this helps. Good luck! :)

Thanks, Diane! I'm off to try to do this again by looking at your tips. I have no idea why I'm having such trouble with this! I know this is supposed to be easy. Sometimes a pattern makes complete sense to me, sometimes not, and it isn't always the "hard" ones that throw me for a loop.

Ah, well. I'll see if I can wrestle this into shape before I go to bed tonight. Thanks again!

Lene'

Archived