Lisa Linthicum DiCrisi

Question

Hello,

This is my first post and I'd like to start by thanking you for a wonderful resource. I just learned to crochet after 30 years of trying and this forum has been a big help.

I've seen some posts about the subject I'm going to ask about but not quite the same question.

For my 2nd afghan I decided to try a ripple pattern and I started with the pattern on attic24. I found it too difficult, as a newbie, to translate how she refers to stitches and the American way.

So I decided to switch to the pattern at handcraftingwithlove.net/yarn/pat-ripple.html

It's worked out well and my sides are even! Yay! I decided I wanted to put edging on it and that's when I ran into difficulty. The sides are even but my stitches are a mess on the side. Are the stitches along the sides supposed to be distinct enough to be able to do a run of SC down the side? I have a hard time getting my hook into some of them. I must be doing something wrong.

Also, I'm not quite sure how to handle the change of colors. I'm doing fine picking up the new color but what then should I do with the tail of the previous color and the tail of the new color. I tried knotting and then weaving in but the knots bump out. It seems like though that if I don't knot the sides get loose. I'm wondering if this is why my stitches along the sides are so messy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm really enjoying this new hobby and I'm hooked (no pun intended) on buying yarn.

Thanks!

Lisa

2 answers to this question

Hi. and welcome to Crochetville!

You'll find that your edges will even out with experience, each project you work on they'll get better! This will explain how to finish off your edges, lots of nice pictures, too.That edge can hide a lot, so go for it, !! Drop down a hook size if you need to, to poke in the stitches, but don't pull the yarn too tight or it'll pucker.

Take your time when you are working this edge, lay your project out flat every once in a while/often to make sure it is laying flat and not starting to get wavy from too many stitches or pulling in from too few stitches, pay attention to your corners, making sure they are flat, too.. If it's doing either, puckering or getting wavy, STOP! right then and there and pull those stitches back, because ten years from now you'll still be looking at that wavy sided afghan, regretting that you didn't fix right away in the first place.... trust me!

(I hate to be so harsh to a newbie with that above paragraph, but jeepers, there's nothing worse than putting a month's worth of evenings into a project that just needs some help with the finishing details That last hour of working on any crochet project is what makes it a Beauty or something that gets stuffed in the back of a closet)

Changing yarn can be tricky when you are just starting out, I often use the russian join. There are several videos showing how to do this too. I also use a smaller hook, maybe a size C or D to grab those shorter loose ends and weave them in and out and around to hide them, I find it much easier to do this with the tiny hook, goes a lot faster than the larger hook I used for the project

Good luck! Post some pics so we can see it when you are all done!

Archived