Just need a little help on a pattern :)

Jennyfer Hunt Sweeney

Question

Hi there,

I am a beginner crocheter. I taught myself crochet by  reading and watching videos, but still having a little bit of trouble reading patterns. So, I was wondering if an amazing person out there can help this chick out with a pattern....

I am working on a drawstring bag and one pattern in the book as me a little confused. I hope someone can explain to me what exactly it wants me to do.

Rnd 18: Ch 1, working over sts in previous rnd, sc in each sc 2 rnds below 

I know it means chain 1 but not entirely sure what it means to "work over sts" and also "sc 2 rnds below" 

YIKES!! I have no clue! ha ha

4 answers to this question

Hi!  Firstly, to start your round, you chain 1.  That's the only time in the round you're chaining 1.  Then, instead of making an sc in the base of the chain 1 and the subsequent stitches as you normally would, you are going to insert the hook into the sc's two rounds below.  The first round below is the round you normally work into.  Go down one more round.  Don't forget the very first sc of that round that they want you to go into.  

So here are the steps:

1.  Chain 1

2.  Starting with the first sc two rounds below, insert your hook into that sc.

3.  YO and pull up a long loop so that it reaches the top of the work.

4.  YO and pull through both loops.

5.  Insert hook into next stitch two rounds below.

6.  Repeat 3 and 4.

Continue until the end of the round, but don't forget that you only chain 1 to start the round, not in between stitches.

Is it perchance the top of the bag you're now working on?  If you think about it, these new long sc's are creating a second layer, and I have a feeling it's the part where you will insert the drawstring.

Maria

You are correct! It is the top of the bag ha ha .. and THANK YOU so much for explaining that to me. I totally understand now! It seems really simple now that you explained it to me. I made something so easy seem difficult. I actually began working on the bag right now since I read your post. Yay, Thank you again! 

It's something new for you, but now you will remember. There are some fun stitches that have you go lower than normal, like the basketweave stitch. Don't you just love conquering the seemingly difficult? Good for you! We want to see pictures when it's completed :-)

Archived