reynold's andean alpaca

lene

Well, I just placed an order over the phone for some yarns, via Herrschner's. After I placed my order, the salesperson told me they had a special price on this alpaca yarn, and, not having seen the yarn, I picked the teal color with my fingers crossed. Later, went to the site and enlarged the pic of the teal yarn -- looks lovely!

Now, I ordered 3 skeins of this, for about $2.50 a skein. Seems like a great price, wish I'd bought more! What I'm hoping is to make something (probably a purse) and then full it -- anyone here used this yarn before? Any advice?

The link to the page with this yarn is below :

http://www.herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?sku=710084

Thanks!

Lene'

PS -- Ok, I'm a sucker for a bargain. :lol Just called them up and asked if I could add to my order. I got another skein of the teal, plus 4 skeins of chocolate, 4 skeins of off-white (to make a fulled bag for my mom to go with the cashmere scarf I'm making her, which is this same color), and 4 skeins of russet. Am I now broke? Yes.:P Do I feel guilty?

Uh. No.:2blush

Lene'

They are gorgeous, aren't they? And the price seemed so grreat...

Heck if I know how many skeins I'll need for a bag. :lol I almost never work from an actual pattern, or if I do, I change the blasted thing as I go. This being the case, I've found myself short on yarn a few times, because I had tried to be frugal and ended up not ordering quite enough. I figure from now on, I'll order enough to give myself a buffer, and the extra (if there is any) can be used for small, "scrap" projects. I think tail ends of wool yarns will probably get crpcheted into patches, fulled, then pieced into patchwork blankets and pillows (as I accumulate patches), or made into fulled patches to cut into small shapes and sew/stuff to make small, simple toys or little ornaments, etc.

I think I feel the same way about yarn that I do about food -- I'd rather have leftovers on hand to throw together in interesting combinations than to not make enough in the first place.:lol

Lene'

That's kinda what I thought, and it's why when she asked if I was interested in buying any at that sale price, I ordered 3 skeins without having ever seen the yarn. Then, after I looked at it online, I decided to get more! ;)

I'm looking forward to using it, but have several projects going at the moment, so it'll have to wait. I'm doing scarf swap, ornament swap, etc., as well as having some heavenly-soft cahsmere yarn I got (another bargain, this time thru Smiley's) that is due to be made into a scarf for my mom. She's nuts about cashmere, and I never could afford to buy any to make something for myself, but when I saw the good sale at Smiley's I thought "oooh! Perfect for Mom!" Now I'm just working up the nerve to actually start crocheting with it!:lol It's such expensive, nice stuff, I don't want to start til I'm positive what I want to do with it -- don't want to have to frog it.

Lene'

Archived