Gauge

airmedh

Question

Ok, this probably sounds like a crazy question but it is one that has more thoroughly confused. How do you create a swatch to test your gauge? I am a tight crocheter and I often end up with stuff that is way to small even though I went up a hook size or two and I have never figured out how to check my gauge before I start.

5 answers to this question

You make a small swatch.... Like 4 or 5 inches wide and about that hight. (The size depends a lot on the size yarn you are using and the pattern that you are doing. ) Some patterns tell you how big to make the swatch.

After the swatch is done, you can measure how many stiches are in an inch. (Normally, I measure how many stiches are in 3 or 4 inches and then divide by the number of inches). That gives you the "gague" that you are working at. Ie. your stitches per inch. You can adjust your hook size based on the swatch. Or if you're like me, and can ever make gague, you adjust the pattern to account for the differance between your gague and the patterns.

Many times a pattern will give you a "mini" set of instructions for the swatch. If they do not do this, but they give you the multiple, you can use a small multiple to make the swatch. The pattern should also tell you the gauge. It will say 7 sts = 2" and 4 rows = 2" or something like that.

After you make your swatch, you measure from the end of one stitch to the end of however many it tells you -- both ways, side to side, and up and down. If your gauge uses more stitches than theirs for the same space, then you need to use a larger hook. If your gauge uses fewer stitches, then you need to use a smaller hook. In other words, if your square is larger than theirs, use a smaller hook. If your square is smaller than theirs, use a larger hook to get the same gauge.

If you are making an afghan, IMHO gauge doesn't matter as much. If it is off a bit, not a big problem. If comes out smaller than you like, just add more of a border.

I have some info on gauge here http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/ltc-gauge.htm .

Hope that helps.

Archived