Newbie needs help translating instructions

CrochetKitty

Question

Last night, I tried to make Kim Guzman's Encircled Heart coaster http://www.crochetkim.com/patterns/coaster.html. It seemed to be going fine until I got to the part where it said "sk ch-1 sp." What on earth does that mean?

Row 7 has me thoroughly stumped: "...sk Dec dc, sc in next stitch, Ch 5, sc in ch 5 lp. Ch 5, sk sc and Dec dc, sc in next sc. Ch 5, sc in next ch-5 lp around. Sl st to beginning sc of row 7. (12 ch-5 lps)

Also in row 10, it says "3sc in ch-3 lp."

4 answers to this question

Last night, I tried to make Kim Guzman's Encircled Heart coaster http://www.crochetkim.com/patterns/coaster.html. It seemed to be going fine until I got to the part where it said "sk ch-1 sp." What on earth does that mean?

Row 7 has me thoroughly stumped: "...sk Dec dc, sc in next stitch, Ch 5, sc in ch 5 lp. Ch 5, sk sc and Dec dc, sc in next sc. Ch 5, sc in next ch-5 lp around. Sl st to beginning sc of row 7. (12 ch-5 lps)

Also in row 10, it says "3sc in ch-3 lp."

Okay, translation: skip decrease double-crochet, single crochet in the next stitch, chain 5, single crochet in the chain 5 loop (from previous row). Chain 5, skip single-crochet and decrease double-crochet, single-crochet in next single-crochet. Chain 5, single-crochet in next chain 5 loop (from previous row) around. Slip stitch into beginning single-crochet of row 7. [to sc into a ch-5 lp, insert hook under the row of chain stitches, pull up a loop and complete the sc.]

Row 10: 3sc in ch-3 lp = do 3 sc around the row of ch st from the previous row, following instructions above.

If you have more problems or need pictures to understand, let me know. I love helping people figure out stitches and patterns. Sorry if I over-simplified.

Oh, you can't oversimplify for me. *giggle* Pictures would be great, especially since the friend who was teaching me moved away.

What about the "sk ch-1 sp" part? I had found a translation online, but there seemed to be a word or two left out. And does "skip decrease double-crochet" mean I skip a decrease double crochet, or skip a stitch and do a double crochet decrease? Sorry, I've had a long day and I'm not thinking clearly. I'll have to go to bed and come back tomorrow.

"sk ch-1 sp" means that in the previous row, you made a ch-1 space, and in this row you're going to skip that space - no stitches will be worked in it.

"skip decrease double-crochet" is the same thing as above - in the previous row you made a stitch called a decrease double crochet, so in the row you're working now, you're going to skip that entire stitch.

Hope that helps. :)

Archived