The Preemie Project

megan

Hi Everyone! I recently joined a group called The Preemie Project. I'm sure some of you have heard of it, and it's a project that's close to my heart, as my niece was in the NICU this summer, and donations go to my local hospital (as well as a hospital in Michigan). Anyway, I asked the founder, a fantastic woman named Laura, if I could post something here, and she gave me this:

Hello!

I'm looking for enthusiastic knitters in Iowa and Michigan who would like to knit for a good cause. Our group is called The Preemie Project-Booties, Bonnets and Blankets for Premature Babies. My enthusiastic volunteers and I are knitting/crocheting/sewing items for premature babies. We are a caring and enthusiastic bunch who loves to knit, crochet, sew, etc.!

We donate hats, booties, blankets, layette sets and various bereavement items to hospital NICUs. We feel so fortunate to be able to give the very tiny, sick babies something soft and snuggly to wear during their recovery. The items also give the parents and families a sense of support from the community. The blankets really brighten up the sterile hospital environment and bring the babies a piece of home. The babies will take their items home as a reminder of their stay.

We also support the families whose babies do not make it. So we provide the family with items such as burial layettes, gowns, buntings and miscarriage wraps. We also provide angel pockets, tiny sewn blankets with a pocket, for the parents to wrap their baby in as they say goodbye. While it is very heartbreaking for our volunteers to make these items they feel that it is important that we do not forget these families. The Preemie Project only hopes to help them to say goodbye and through the grieving process.

Someday with enough support The Preemie Project also hopes to provide support to families in financial crisis. Many babies spend many weeks in the NICU wards running up costly hospital bills. Once the babies are healthy enough to go home these bills place a heavy financial burden on their families, especially on single parents. The Preemie Project wants to someday be able to help the families with the day to day cost of raising a baby. Some of the items The Preemie project will accept for this cause are: Diapers, baby clothing new and gently used (without stains), pacifiers, bottles, formula etc. Please see the website for the complete list of items.

The Preemie Project welcomes volunteers from all over the globe. We have many volunteers from across the country donating hand crafted items. We do however feel that it is important to involve the communities that received the donations as much as possible. We want to be able to work together to accomplish a common goal.

Our current chapters are in Iowa and Michigan. The project was founded in Iowa and its chapter supports The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City, IA. In order to support the 800 babies the UIHC gives care to each year, we plan to make bi-monthly donations of:

140 Hat/Bootie Sets

125 Blankets

It will be quite a challenge to support such a large hospital year round. We would love to have you join us! Our Michigan Chapter is just getting started and plans to support Saint Joe's Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

I'm sorry it's such a long post, but the project is really worth it. Preemie items are so fast to make! And you don't have to commit to a lot of work, even if you can only make a few hats or booties, they're more than appreciated. Donations of yarn are more than welcome, too.

If you have any questions, let me know, or you can email Laura at infoATthepreemieprojectDOTcom

Archived