Recovery Buddies

maddeleine4

Admin Note: Maddeleine4 is no longer affiliated with Recovery Buddies. She has asked for this thread to be closed. If anybody else would like to start a new thread for the Recovery Buddies Project, you're welcome to do so.

The Recovery Buddies Project is a team of people from around the world who hand knit and crochet "recovery buddies" to help people through a variety of addictions and mental illnesses including eating disorders, self-injury as well as others. We strive to remind people that they are not alone in their addictions, and that they don't have to be alone in their recovery. For more information you can contact me or look at the facebook page or blog which can be found here http://recoverybuddies.blogspot.com/2008/10/those-interested-in-knitting-buddies.html

For the near future please contact me for my shipping info since the address on the blog is founder Bethany's address. She is attending school out of state and will not have access to anything being sent to that address for some time.

Recovery Buddy Crochet Pattern by Diane Smith

FOR A 9X9 BUDDY.

Approximately 5 ounces of sport weight yarn.

G & H crochet hooks.

Stuffing - I used a polyester fiberfill

Yarn needle and embroidery needle

Decorations for face

Notes:

• I used double strands of sport weight yarn to make a dense but flexible piece for the body. This allows for stuffing without leakage. If you use a worsted weight, you will need to adjust hook and gauge.
  • I used a baby yarn to make sure it’s got a soft finish and feel.
  • I always do my chain and first row of slip stitches with a larger hook, because I crochet tight. This prevents any deformity in the final shape.
  • Depending on your level of comfort, you may want to decorate the face before you stuff the rectangle.
  • If you want a larger or smaller Recovery Buddy, you will need to increase or decrease stitches.

Directions for the body of the pillow:

• Begin with H hook. Using 2 strands, chain 69 stitches.
  • Turn and beginning in second chain from hook, slip stitch across. This will make a nice straight first row for a seam. Finish row, turn, chain 1.
  • Switch to G hook and single crochet across, always finishing each row with turn and chain one.
  • Continue until rectangle measures 18 wide by 9 high.
  • Slip stitch last row. Bind off.

Directions for the legs - Make two:

• With G hook, chain 17.
  • Turn and beginning in the second chain from hook, slip stitch across. Finish row, turn, chain 1.
  • Do five rows of single crochet, finishing each row with turn and chain 1.
  • Slip stitch last row, bind off.

Directions for the arms - make two:

• With G hook, chain 15.
  • Turn and beginning in the second chain from hook, slip stitch across. Finish row, turn, chain 1.
  • Do three rows of single crochet, finishing each row with turn and chain 1.
  • Slip stitch last row, bind off.

Finishing:

Seam rectangle using a mattress stitch or whatever closing stitch you prefer, leaving a small opening on bottom. Stuff body until it’s firm to the touch, but not hard. Close remaining gap on body. Attach arms and legs. Decorate face.

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone! I thought I'd post a quick update. I have been very busy keeping up with the Recovery Buddies ravelry group and facebook so I apologize for not posting more here.

Since February I have personally mailed 40 Buddies to people on our waitlist thanks to the help we have been receiving. My personal goal is to have our waitlist gone completely by the end of this year.

If you have questions/comments about the project please let me know. :)

Yes they can be. Most of the requests we get are from girls so popular colors are pinks, purples, bright colors. Other than that there aren't many requirements they must be square and have 4 limbs. Bigger than 8x8 and smaller than 11x11 for mailing purposes.

Archived