I want to make a wall hanging - help!

My sister came up with this great idea to make a Game of Thrones wall hanging. It's going to have a border of the various sigils of the families surrounding a dragon curled around three eggs. It's going to be done in tapestry crochet.

Here's my question - what do I make this out of? I haven't seen thread in enough colors to make this and if I did use thread, I'm not sure it would work with tapestry crochet without looking weird. If I used something else like fingering weight yarn or something, how do I keep it from stretching out like crazy on the wall and distorting the picture? Should I glue it to some kind of background?

Not sure if this would help but with the wall hanging afghan im making when im done im going to give it to my mother and she is gonna sew a piece of fabric to the back of it so that it could hang and not have any problems with it.

I recently made my hubby a huge wall hanging from Vanna's choice acrylic--so many colors! I crocheted loops all along the top so we could thread it onto a curtain rod. I was trying to avoid sewing a backing onto it (cause I'm lazy), but if it starts to distort, that's what I'll do.

If you choose to do a backing, I'd recommend "quilting" it to the tapestry; that way you don't end up with a shapeless sack. Here's a simple technique: http://thelastpiece.typepad.com/the_last_piece/2011/05/how-to-tie-a-quilt-a-tutorial.html

Archived