Copyright help pls....

If you created it all by yourself then it's original. If you worked off of someone elses pattern and did a little tweaking then it's not. Only you know the truth of it and it's a judgement/morality call.

Once a pattern is put into writing or charted form it's automatically covered by copyright protection. Most people claim copyright protection. you can either use © or the copyright symbol (microsoft word will convert it automatically), the year it is published and full name. Some people use their business name but technically it should be your legal name. Then you write all right reserved which means you are keeping the copyrights to your work but allowing others to use it.

©2011 - My Real Name - All rights reserved.

The next line is your Terms of Use. Charity work, yes or no on selling the finished items, etc.

I wrote an article on it- maybe you can find something helpful in it.

http://rosereddesigns.blogspot.com/2011/11/explaining-copyright-terms-of-use.html

Thank you so much, RoseRed! I will read your article today. All the advice you gave me was the answers I was looking for, ie copyright wording, terms of use.

I didnt work from someone else's pattern, as I havent found one for the item I wanted, so I made my own (writing the pattern as I worked). I think I will ask for a couple testers here to make sure the wording and instructions are clear before posting here and at Ravelry, and at that time I will use the wording you recommended.

I appreciate your help and time to guide me in this!

Joy :)

I was able to get two members here to test it for me. I'll post it here and at Ravelry as a free pattern when it has been worked up by the testers and written instructions verified they are clear and concise :) I don't mind if others use the pattern for free, but would not want someone to claim the pattern and then sell it, thus my questions on how to prevent that.

Thank you both for your responses!

Joy

You can't prevent it but it doesn't happen all that often.

If you see a pattern that you think is yours the best way to approach it would be to contact the person directly. As a professional courtesy you'll exchange patterns to verify that they're different.

If it is your exact pattern then you can file a complaint with the hosting website under the Digital Millennial Copyright Act. It usually doesn't have to go that far.

You have to remember tho - even if it looks exactly the same as yours - if it's written differently then there's nothing you can do.

Copyright protection only goes as far as covering your written wording and pictures.

Archived