Venetian Leaf doily - Unusual, with pics

My pictures definitely don't do this doily justice. In real life, it is beautiful, the leaves are those pretty ribbed Venetian leaves. This pattern is over 60 years old, I don't know the name of it, I have never seen the pattern. I have scoured the web and looked at all the old patterns online, I am convinced it isn't there.

I made a copy of the doily (grandma's) when I was a kid and no longer have that, but I've made several from memory through the years, and gave them all away. But last night I crocheted a partial doily using the little bit of yarn I have here. I made it 'partial' so it would be easier for you to figure out how to duplicate it. I hate the dark green color, and it makes it hard to see the ridges in the leaves, but that's the only color I had.

The original was in thread, but I have also made them in yarn. I can't remember whether the original had 6 or 8 venetian leaves (but I have made it both ways), and I believe each leaf motif was attached to the center motif at 3 points, although my partial doily has them attached at 2 points.

Believe it or not, there are only 2 rows of white around the center motif and 2 of white around each leaf.

I only put 10 dc on each spoke. The more you put, the more they spiral. I don't remember how many were on the original, but I know there were more than 10. The more it spirals, the prettier the doily. I only put 10 on this to save yarn and yet give you a general idea of how the doily looks. Also, you must have the correct number of spokes on the center motif to attach the leaf motifs, but it doesn't matter how many spokes you put around the leaf, just as long as it lays flat.

I can't post written instructions here because I assume the pattern is copyright. But since I made the leaves on my own, I can post the leaf pattern. The idea is to have the center motif round, and the leaf motifs oval. If you want longer leaf motifs/longer leaves, you can add one or 2 rows to the leaves, if you want.

I am posting this because I really like this pattern, I've never seen another doily anything like it, and I hope others like it as well as I do and will make it. I hate to see a great pattern like this die.

LEAF

Ch 12

(1) Sc in 2nd ch from hook; sc in next 9 ch, in last ch make sc, ch 3 and sc; working along opposite side of staring chain, sc in next 8 ch. Ch 3, turn.

(2) Sc in next 9 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(3) Working in BACK loops of each sc, sc in next 9 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(4 through 9) Repeat row 3. At end of last row, do not ch 3, do not turn. Fasten off.

post-54806-135897707791_thumb.jpg

post-54806-135897707798_thumb.jpg

post-54806-135897707802_thumb.jpg

Hi. I happen to be up at 12:47am. I have a book Crochet Designs From Hungary by Juliana Ray and Madeleine Bokoli. Page 53 has a pattern called Cheval Set that is similar. Each motif is 4in. and have 12 spokes. Hope this helps.

Hi. I happen to be up at 12:47am. I have a book Crochet Designs From Hungary by Juliana Ray and Madeleine Bokoli. Page 53 has a pattern called Cheval Set that is similar. Each motif is 4in. and have 12 spokes. Hope this helps.

With the infomation you gave me, I did more searching on the web but didn't come up with anything similar. Guess my only altenative is to buy the book to see if it is the same pattern. 12 spokes don't sound like enough to go around the leaf, but I'll check it out. Thank you!

Have you tried the Antique Pattern Library :think

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/

I went to the website, but when I cick on a document to open it, all I get is an error message, "Acrobat cannot decrypt the document" so I have no idea what is going on. My Acrobat program is up to date.

But I did do some checking there and couldn't find the crochet book Robi talked about.

Archived