New to crochet and need help

Gwen

Question

6 answers to this question

Very good question, one that I did'nt understand for a very long time. When you ch2, you know the open "space" you have underneathit? That is what you actually stitch into. You are not inserting your hook into a stitch but underneath the chain. It would be the same if you had a ch9 or 10, you would sc in the open space. I am afraid I may have confused you so I am going to go search my e-mail that gave me a clue on the subject, I think she said it better than I just did. sorry if I have confused you.

What does it mean when it states sc in first ch-2 sp. I understand the sc and the first chain but does it mean in the 2nd space that I have? Thanks:think

The row you did previously must have had ch-2 spacing in it, therefore, you would single crochet in the first ch-2 space from your hook.

here is the answear I got the first time I asked that question of a very dear lady who gave me LOTS of help(crochetingmomof4)

When you need to work in a ch 2 space, they really mean that - you work into the ch space. So you don't work into either of the chains at all. You isert your hook under the chains, or insert your hook "under the bridge" as I like to call it. And you keep placing however many stitches in that space as are called for...they will squeeze. When it says to leave remaining stitches unworked, that is a method of decreasing.

And when I still did'nt understand she wrote this, it was like a lightbulb going off....

Working 9 dcs in a ch 5 space is really no different. Just make 9 dcs in the same spot, one right next to the one before, til there are 9 of them. They will naturally distribute themselves evenly across the space, all on their own.

Was that any better?

As stated by another here, you must have made ch 2 space previously to have one. It would never be on a foundation chg. Example, ch 20, (foundation row) sc in 2nd change from hook, ch 2, skip 2ch, ch 2, skip 2 ch, across, at end of row ch 1 turn, now there will be ch 2 spaces all the way across, when it says 1 sc in each ch 2 space, it is an actual space, (not a stitch) just put your hook under the 2 ch and wrap yarn on hook and pull though. Just like to also welcome you, by the way, my name is Gwen also.

Archived