drifting to one side

fruggs

Question

I am working on an afgan, and noticed as I set it out that it has begun to have one side that is on a diagnal. There are the same number of stitches and motif's as the starting row but it is just crooked. any ideas on how to prevent this?

thanks

:think

5 answers to this question

You are probably increasing at the beginning of the row and secreasing at the end.

The stitch immediately bellow the chain at the start of the row, is not your first stitch, the next one is, and the last stitch to work into is the top of the chain from the beginning of the previous row.

This is a very common thing to do, and I would be very surprised if all beginners have not made the same mistake at some time.

Hope this helps.

Colleen.

I've been crocheting for almost two months now and I STILL do that. I don't even realize I've done it until I'm many rows in and start to notice the lopsided appearance, then I have to frog it and start all over. It can be frustrating but eventually I get it right and things turn out ok.

:think There is no way to fix it without un-ravelling unless you make a couple of pieces which are straight on one side and shaped on the other, and attach them to each side.

Fixing properly is always the best option as it will always annoy you everytime you look at it.:think I have done it myself, where I have kept going, knowing it is not right, then ending up un-ravelling more than if I had done it immediately.

Maybe just start again, with another ball of yarn, and see how much better it looks when it goes straight. Then un-ravell the other bit to use the yarn.:think

Hope this is helpful.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Archived