Can I sell this?

I bought a PDF copy of the "Learn to do Yo-Yo Crochet" from Annies Attic. Well the pattern isn't quite what I expected, I don't like how the yo-yos are made. I bought the pattern for $8.95 and feel like I wasted money.

Can I sell the pattern in PDF format or printed out?

Sorry to say, but no.

Copyright prohibits the resale of electronic media, either in it's original electronic format or in a hard copy print out except where you have express written consent from the original author.

Copyright issues get a little murky when dealing with purchased patterns in pdf or other electronic from.

In order to prevent copyright infringement, if a purchaser wanted to sell the pattern to another person (like you would with a printed book, for example), the purchaser would have to make sure they destroyed ALL copies of the pattern they had. This could involve many things: destroying any printed copies made for personal use; deleting the file from their hard drive and any backup storage devices; deleting the file from any saved emails in the email program if the file were sent via email; if a permanent download link is available on the site from which the pattern was purchased, making sure that company removes their access to that download link (which some companies may not do).

Many companies specify as part of their Terms of Use/Service/Sale that electronic files may not be resold.

Since policies can vary from company to company, the best bet if you want to resell (or even just give to another person) an electronic pattern you have purchased is to contact the company from which you purchased the pattern and ask about their policies.

Archived