I need help...

hermosakiwi

Question

I'm new at crochet and need help reading a pattern. I'm trying to make an afghan and don't know what the heck it's talking about. I tried the instructions and its just not coming out right. I am a complete beginner and was wondering if I could give the directions for someone to translate into plain english. I know what the abbreviations mean but ,,, ugh! its just not making sence... please help if someone has time... I would really appreciate it... :knit

7 answers to this question

just let us know specificly what you are haveing trouble with and you will get all the help you need. I consider myselfe a beginer as well so it may not come from me but there are some very sweet, very talented crocheters here who will help!

If you are having trouble with the abreviations just let us know which one it is, if you are having trouble actually doing the stitch I would recommend looking for it at http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/crochet/index.html . This site has videos of alot of stitches being done. Welcome to Crochetville!

If it's a pattern on the net or on your computer, stick it in a word doc and do a spell check, then tell it to change all sc to single crochet, all dc to double crochet etc. (easier than doing it yourself lol) basically change all abreviations to full words.

Then go through the pattern and put each instruction on it's own line if you need to, makes it easier to keep track. Example...

ch 102, sc in second ch from hk and each ch to end, ch 2, turn.

would be...

ch 102,

sc in second ch from hk and each ch to end,

ch 2, turn

I used to do this with lots of patterns till I got better at reading them and keeping track of where I was.

The thing to remember is that everything in the pattern means something. The parentheses, commas, brackets, asterisks - everything. And the order in which they appear means something, too. Make sure you're not starting with a pattern that's too complicated...try to find something that is labeled "easy" or "beginner." And do let us know what you need help with specifically, as we'll help any way we can.

Not that I am an expert or anything, but, speaking from trial and error, dont let the big picture overwhelm you. Take it one line at a time. I am not advanced enugh to read the pattern and see the finished priduct in my head, if you get frustrated with something, put it down and take a breather and come back to it later. you can get crocheters block just like righters bnlock and then no matter how much you go over it in your head, you just wont see it. From one beginner to anouther, take yoiur time and dont give up!!!

ps, please scuze the typos, feeding baby and peckin at the same time!!

The one leisure Arts learn to crochet booklet had a section on learning to read patterns. Maybe that would help you. I bought it last winter for my niece Breann. Another generation of hookers is born!:hook :hook :hook

Lorry

Archived