Help with Damaged Crochet Pillow cases

Lollie2639

Question

These are antique pillow cases my great great aunt made over 50 years ago. She died in her chair at a nursing home with a crochet hook in her hand many many years ago. The cat got a hold of them and damaged them as you can see. I was wondering if they are salvageable or does anyone have the pattern? Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

th_DSC00332.jpg

th_DSC00333.jpg

1 answer to this question

Well... I see several options.

1) Trying to save all possible edging around sides and back and securing to case as needed...carefully remove the damaged rows of shells while simultaneously using a matching/coordinating (orange) thread to catch the bases of the shells in the first complete row and sl st or sc them to secure them with chains inbetween to use as foundation for repair. After ends of shells are secured, try to recreate the shells going down...as opposed to up...the "skirt." (I like this option best.):D

2) Secure as many full shells as possible...if a thread color matches... fill in shells as needed while securing them to the old ones. (I personally don't think this would look as nice...but it is an option.)

3)The dreaded...rip the whole skirt out...and start from scratch.:eek

If one of these don't work...maybe someone more experience can "springboard" an idea off of them.

Best of Luck!!!:hug

Archived