Kitchen Cook and Hook CAL

patterncollector

Hi, everybody! I know I love trying new recipes and judging from other posts, I know lots of you do, too. Let's try a CAL where we make anything for the kitchen or dining room and share recipes. Crochet any item you like for the kitchen or dining room----rugs, scrubbies, dishcloths, towel toppers, pot holders, decorations, doilies, table runners, let your imagination run wild and post about your favorite recipes. Since it's wintertime, let's start off with any nice hot soups and stews.

Cabbage Roll Soup

lean ground beef--browned and drained

favorite spaghetti sauce

can beef broth

diced onion

diced garlic

cabbage, cleaned and cut in 2 inch pieces

rice

water

salt

pepper

Add ingredients together (quanities will vary according to your family size and individual tastes) and bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer stirring occasionally until tender and rice is done.

I've just learned the joys of 'bone stock'. It's amazing how good it is for you too.

I'll fill 2 gallon sized ziplocks with chicken bones, skin and chunks of fat that I don't use for cooking. It's usually filled with breast and wing bones.

Start it first thing in the morning. Crock pots are great since you have to let it simmer overnight. Put your bones in the pot and cover it with water. Add 6-8 peppercorns, an onion and 3 tablespoons of vinegar. (I use apple cider vinegar)

The vinegar is super important because it turns the broth acidic. This leeches all the nutrients and minerals out of the bones. By the next afternoon the bones will literally crush under the pressure of your fingers. (Yeah - it's kinda weird breaking chicken bones with a spoon)

When it gets 'scummy' skim the top.

When the bones are breakable I bust up as many as I can so that the marrow cooks into the stock too.

The next afternoon strain the bones out of the broth and thru a cheesecloth (or old pillowcase is you don't have one). You don't want to end up eating a small chunk of bone.

Add your seasonings and veggies. I'll usually throw in a couple chicken breasts for the meat and add those bones to the new bag in the freezer.

"I feel like I'm getting sick" soup

1 or 2 bay leaves

2-3 T thyme

6-8 garlic cloves

We've managed to fight off 2 rounds of 'feeling like I'm getting sick'. Thyme is a natural anti-microbial and anti-biotic, garlic has anti-everything qualities and bay is good for you too and it add's some great flavor.

I've just finally started experimenting with different flavors in soups and I'm loving it. (So's hubby)

Archived