Anyone interested in a Crochet-Plarn Along?

crochooley

1st Set of Pattern Instructions posted below:

What is plarn? It is a creative way to reuse plastic bags by turning it into yarn. [Plastic (pla) + Yarn (arn) = Plarn]

I'm offering the C-PAL to give any yarncrafter who has always wanted to crochet with plastic yarn, but didn't know where to start, the opportunity.

The project will be one of my original designs, the Wrap & Go Wallet/Checkbook Organizer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/plastirecreations/sets/72157625255973407/detail/

The skill level is easy. I'm pretty sure that once you make one you'll be addicted and want to make up more for Christmas presents.

Below are details specific to the project:

Plarn and other materials needed:

Important thing to remember about using plastic yarn:

Not all plastic is made the same. When using plarn, achieving the desired size or gauge is dependent on the texture, thickness and strip width of the plastic yarn.

• Plastic Yarn - 20 standard size plastic bags for both the main and contrasting color. This really is more than enough. Everyone crochets differently (i.e. tight, loose) so this is to ensure you don't run short.
  • Crochet Hook: size F & H
  • Craft Needle

Other Details:

FINISHED SIZE: Width-7 1/2"; Height-5" Gauge Info: Typically, I don't worry much about the gauge. However, I do recommend it for this project if you want to ensure the Organizer is a specific width/height that you want it to be.

GAUGE: 5 hdc = 1”; 3 rows = 1 ¼”

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm really looking forward to hosting this so I do host there is enough interest.....

Thanks, Teresa

http://plastiqrecreation.blogspot.com/

We've been spreading the word ... the time has finally arrived for us to get crazy.

The pattern instructions for the Wrap & Go Checkbook/Wallet Organizer will be offered in the following 3 increments:

Part 1 Instructions: Pouch

Part 2 Instructions: Flap

Part 3/Finale: Wraparoundband & Flower

Here are hints/tips I offer on all my patterns:

• Read through the pattern instructions before beginning.

• When using plarn, it’s a good idea to stretch your work after every couple of rows. This will give you a more realistic view of what you have completed up to that point.

• Ch 1 at beginning of each row is not counted as the 1st stitch.

• Plastic in general is susceptible to ripping/tearing due to its very nature.

o Weaving in ends - it is best to maneuver your craft needle in between the stitch or stitches to avoid splitting the plastic yarn.

--------------------------

Practice Swatch:

I typically don’t suggest making a practice swatch because achieving a certain height/width is an individual preference. However, it is suggested to ensure the Organizer is the wide enough for what you propose to put in it.

Ch 22, hdc in 2nd ch from hook and each st across. Row 2-4: Hdc in each st across. Lay piece on flat surface and place the widest item that you will put in the Organizer once it is completed on top. The piece should be slightly (not much) wider than the item. If more width is needed, try again with additional # of ch sts until desired width is achieved.

---------------------------

ABBREVIATIONS

blo = back loop only

ch(s) = chain(s)

dc = double crochet

flo – front loop only

hdc = half double crochet

rev sc = reverse single crochet

sc = single crochet

sl = slip

sp = space

st(s) = stitch(es)

tog = together

tr (treble or triple)

MATERIALS:• Crochet Hook – Size F & H

• Plastic Yarn (NOTE: 12 – 1” strips per standard size plastic bag = 6 yards):

o Main Color – Approximately 20 plastic bags

o Contrasting Color – Approximately 10 plastic bags

• Craft needle

Pattern Instructions:

With H hook and main color, ch 22 or # determined with practice swatch.

Row 1: Hdc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch1, turn.

Row 2 – 22 (or desired height): Hdc in each st across. Finish with right side.

(Tip: Depth determines Height. To ensure an accurate height is achieved, fold the piece in half and place whatever you will be using the Organizer (e.g. checkbook, calculator, cell phone, etc.) for inside. This gives a more accurate way of determining if additional rows will need to be added for height.

Photo 1

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 2

Ch 1, sc in end st (1st corner) and in end st of each row to corner, 3 sc in corner, across edge to corner, 3 sc in corner, sc in end st of each row matching up with opposite side (Important: evenly match up sts on both sides or the rows will not have a straight line appearance when stitching up the sides, refer to photo 6), 3 sc in corner, across edge back to corner, 2 sc in corner (back at 1st corner), join with a sl st in beginning sc. Fasten off, weave in ends.

Photo 3

Photo 3

Sides (repeat on both sides):

With contrasting color and wrong side facing you, join with a sl st at the corner and sc in each st across, ch 1 turn. Sc in each st across. Fasten off leaving about 6” tail for sewing sides together.

Photo 4

Photo 4

Fold piece in half lengthwise with right sides together (wrong side out), st sides together with tail. (Stitch Suggestion – whip st the blo of one side and flo of other side [the 2 sts back to back]). Fasten off; weave in all loose plarn ends.

Photo 5

Photo 5

Turn pouch inside out and push out bottom corners. Just give the pouch a good stretch, tug and pull on both the front and sides. a sl st in 1st sc st.

Photo 6

Photo 6

http://www.flickr.com/photos/plastirecreations/5214271508/in/set-72157625483992830/

Photo 7

Please feel free to post your comments, questions and progress pictures because I am really excited to see the different colors everyone is using ....

Above all, just have fun with this!!!

(Please accept my sincerest apologies for viewing the pic links, I just haven't mastered the art of posting pics in the message itself)

2st Set of Pattern Instructions posted below:Part 2: Making the fold over flap with inside I.D. Pocket and Pen Holder

We will be using the rev sc (aka Crab St) in Part 2. If you are familiar with how to make the rev sc, feel free to skip this part and jump down to ‘Pattern Instructions’.

Here’s how to make a rev sc stitch (aka crab st): It may feel a little odd because you’re make a sc just going in the opposite direction (i.e. left to right). Insert hook, plarn over and pull through (2 loops on hook), plarn over and draw through both loops. Continue in each st.

Pattern Instructions:

Fold over Flap -

Decide which side of pouch will be the back, with back side facing you still using the H hook, attach contrasting color with a sl st in corner st.

Row 1 & 2: Sc in same st and in each st across. (Fast Forward moment: the 2nd row will be placement of the pen holder.)

Row 3: In blo, hdc in each st across. Turn.

Row 4 -7: Hdc in each st across.

5225918019_13a772bdb9.jpg

Photo 8

Row 8: (This row will be the width of your I.D. or other card that will be used.) Hdc in each st across only for the desired width of the card. Turn.

5225918131_bbb07201fe.jpg

Photo 9

Row 9 – 15: Hdc in each st across. Fasten off, weave in ends.

5225923667_ac7cbb4e53.jpg

Photo 10 / Outisde Back View

5225922231_2d0103644f.jpg

Photo 11 / Inside View

ID Pocket:

(Note: The Pocket is made separately then attached to the inside flap with a rev sc through both layers of the pocket & flap when edging around the flap.)

Row 1: Ch the same # of sts to match Row 8 plus 2. Hdc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Turn.

Row 2: Hdc in each st across. Turn.

Row 3: Hdc in next 2 sts. Turn.

Row 4: Repeat row 3. Turn. Remove st off hook (DO NOT FASTEN OFF, you’ll be coming back to it.

With wrong side of pocket facing you, join sl st in 1st st on opposite side of Row 3, hdc in same st and in next st. Turn, Repeat row 3 & 4. Fasten off, weave in ends.

5225921031_1104e71184.jpg

Photo 12

Row 5: Place hook back on st, hdc in next 2 sts, ch 9 or the the # of skipped stitches on Row 3, hdc in the last 2 sts. Turn.

Row 6 – 8 (or desired height of I.D. card): Hdc in each st across. Fasten off, weave in ends.

5225919625_fe94fc2009.jpg

Photo 13

Lay pocket on inside flap to determine what row to rev sc through both layers of the pocket and flap. (Tip: I found it works best to have the ID opening lined up with the 2nd row from the top of the flap, see Photo 16. This avoids any hang-over)

With contrasting color and back of pouch facing you, join with a sl st in lower left corner. Rev sc up the side attaching I.D. pocket along the way,

5225927641_32e92038b4.jpg

Photo 14

5225926057_edfcfc04b5.jpg

Photo 15

2 rev sc in corner, rev sc across top (in flap only), 2 rev sc in corner, back down opposite side (including I.D. pocket) of flap and around pocket opening to 1st rev sc made. Fasten off, weave in ends. The remainder of I.D. pocket will be attached with craft needle.

5226521626_7cb58e09c7.jpg

Photo 16

Pen Holder:

Determine the width and placement of the holder. (Tip: I prefer 8 sts evenly centered on the flap. There is no right or wrong, it’s a personal preference.) With inside flap facing you, join with a sl st in the 1st st of the pen holder, sc in same st and in each desire # across. Turn,

5226529566_f4928dce1b.jpg

Photo 17

Sc in each st across for 4 total rows or # of rows needed for pen. (Tip: Plarn has some stretch to it. You want it to fit snug.)

Attaching - sl st in each st across to attach holder to flap. Finish off, weave in ends.

5226526828_584fd840ea.jpg

Wooo Hooo - You now have a Checkbook/Wallet Organizer … but we’re not done yet…

Just 1 more set of instructions left. Please continue to provide the fantastic feedback.

-----------------------

Part 3/The Finale: The Wraparound Band and Flower

Wraparound Band:

Row 1: Working on top of flap in the middle, with F hook attach contrasting color with a sl st in on top of a st, sc in same st and in next st, ch 1, turn. (Note: the flower will be placed over this spot hiding the area.)

Picture+078.jpg

Row 2 – 16 (or desired length of band): Hdc in each st across, ch 1, turn. Before fastening off, test the length making sure it is long enough by wrapping band around pouch and position end at beginning of band. Even though plarn does stretch, you want the band a little loose so it isn’t so tight when you fill the pouch. Fasten off leaving long enough tail to st end of band to top of flap. Stitch end of band to front of flap.

Picture+085.jpg

Flower:

Round 1: With Contrasting color and H hook, using the adjustable ring method, make 7 sc in ring, join with a sl st in 1st sc.

Adjustable Ring method: Make a loop as if to form a knot giving yourself about 4” to 6” of tail. Insert hook through middle of loop (front to back), plarn over, and pull hook back through (back to front). You now should have 1 loop on your hook. Ch 1 as this will count as your first sc. (The standard is ch 1=sc; ch 2=hdc; ch 3=dc). Make the # of sts in the loop making sure to crochet around both the plastic yarn and tail. I suggest making the stitches a little loose so it will be easier to pull the plarn tail. If you start running out of tail, pull the tail to give you more slack, however, you will notice that the loop will get smaller. Now for the fun part – grab the tail and gently pull the stitches together. As you do this, the inner circle gets smaller.

Round 2: 2 sc in each st around. Fasten off.

Round 3: With Main Color, 2 sc in same st, 1 sc in next 2 sts.Repeat around. Do not fasten off but pull out a big enough loop so the stitch doesn’t come out as you will be coming back to it.

Round 4a: With F hook and contrasting color, join with sl st in front loop of a st from Round 3 and following petal pattern: in same st-sc, hdc, sc, sl st in next petal.Repeat around. After completion of last petal, sl st behind a st of 1st petal made. Fasten off, weave in ends.

Round 4b: Insert hook back into loop of round 3, follow petal pattern around: in same st - hdc, dc, 2tr, dc, hdc, sl st in next petal. Repeat around. After completion of last petal, sl st behind a st of 1st petal made. Fasten off, weave in ends.

"]hd+flower.jpg

- OR -

Pop Tab Flower:

Round 1: With contrasting color and F hook, join with sl st in pop tab and make 18 sc around pop tab. Fasten off, weave in ends.

Round 2: With main color and H hook, join with a sl st and sc in same st, *ch 4, sk 2 sts, sc in next st. *Repeat around.

Round 3: In each ch 4 sp, follow petal pattern: sc, hdc, dc, 2tr, dc, hdc, sc. After completion of last petal, sl st behind a st of 1st petal made.

Round 4: Still working behind petal, sl st to 1st tr, *ch 4, sl st in tr of next petal. *Repeat around. Fasten off, weave in ends.

Round 5: With contrasting color, follow petal pattern in each ch 4 sp: *sc, hdc, dc, 3tr, dc, hdc, sc, sl st in sl st of Round 4. *Repeat around. Sl st in 1st sl made of Round 4. Fasten off, weave in ends.

Join main color in front loop of a st in Round 5, sl st in each st around. Fasten off, weave in ends.

"]Picture+083.jpg

Assembly:

Position middle of flower over band ends on top of flap, sew flower to flap.

Final touch, with matching plarn and craft needle, sew remainder of I.D. pocket to flap.

Let me know if you have any questions .... It was pleasure to offer this pattern to you and I hope you enjoyed participating in Plastique's first of many to come Crochet-Plarn Alongs.

If you're ready for more fun, please join me for the next C-PAL. We will make a pop tab plarn bracelet: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=122561

Thanks, Teresa

For those that are interested, here are some additional tips ....

If you're interested but not quite sure how/where to begin and how to make the plastic bag into yarn for the C-PAL. So here's a few tips/hints:

1) Where to find plastic bags: Plastic Bag Recycle Containers typically found at the front entrance of majority of the grocery stores. The containers are not just regular card board boxes (w/ and w/o lids) anymore as some are now in hard plastic containers like a trash container with a slot for depositing on the front. However, most of that type do have a key turn on one side. I just turn the key, open it in front and sift thru what's in there. Some containers I have found are located in the checkout area of the grocery store. For those, I just go to the Services counter and tell them what I do and what I need and have never been told 'No'. Just be prepared for the stares and questions.

2) Finding what you want: If you don't want to take the time to sift thru the box while everyone comes and goes because undoubtedly you know their watching you, just grab a bunch, take home, sift thru to pick & choose, then take back what you don't want.

3) RECOMMENDED: Whether you choose to sift/pick through the recycle containers at the actual store or wait until you get home - I strongly urge, recommend, suggest you wear some form of hand protection - (e.g. playtex gloves, etc.). Over the years, I have discovered that people also use plastic bags for various other things (to be specific, dog poop) and they'll put those nasty plastic bags in with the other plastic bags. And believe me I have come across much worst than dog poop ..

4) Once you've picked the plastic bags you want - the one question I continually get is NOW WHAT DO I DO WITH IT?? Fair question. It's time to make plastic yarn .. I have 2 tutorials on my blog on how to make plastic yarn - the double-strand method (creating strips & looping the strips together) and continuous strand method (making 1 long strand)

There are lots of other tutorials as well on the internet on how to make plarn.. you can find those by googling. Also, there are several tutorials on youtube as well.

I hope this helps on deciding whether or not to participate. I'll be happy to answer any questions either via this post or just send me a private message.

Just touching base to see if anyone has questions on choosing the plastic bag to use or cutting the plastic bag to make yarn. Let me know how I can help you ...

I will be posting the 1st set of pattern instructions the morning of 11/28....

If you have questions, to avoid waiting for my response, feel free to ck out my blog at http://plastiqrecreation.blogspot.com/ as there are 3 blog posts back to back with helpful hints & tips to prepare for this C-PAL.

I'm really getting excited and I looking forward to seeing your progress pics along the way....

I am interested in this! I love the idea of using plarn. As of right now, I have AT LEAST 3-5 projects I am doing for as Christmas presents, so I will at least try. =)

I wanted to share the excellent feedback received from a few plarn crocheters - RecycleCindy and KristyRecycles ....

1) Both used a ch base of 28 w/hdc in 2nd chain from hook instead of the ch 22 I used. RecycleCindy is using newspaper sleeve plastic yarn which would have a completely different texture/thickness than the Dollar General or Lowe's plastic yarn I have used.

Both ladies proven from experience that the factors to consider when using plarn -

a) the type of plastic bag - textures/thickness difference

b) tension - loose or tight crochet stitch

c) width of plastic strip - determines gauge

2) Ch 2 at row end was used as an alternative for a more taylored edge.

Keep the feedback coming ... luv it!!!

I finished one of my projects and I am almost finished with the one I just started the night before last. I don't think I will get to the store for a while to start the others, so I should be able to start this project pretty soon.

Lily07 - so glad to hear that ...

For everyone else who is participating - Why so quiet??? I'm the only one doing the talking............

Just touching base to see how everyone is doing ...

Does anyone have questions for me or having any issues with the pattern??

I would luv to see your wip.....

I have posted final set of pattern instructions - Part 3/The Finale ....

Let me know if you have any questions .... It was pleasure to offer this pattern to you and I hope you enjoyed participating in Plastique's first of many to come Crochet-Plarn Alongs.

If you're ready for more fun, please join me for the next C-PAL. We will make a pop tab plarn bracelet.

Thanks, Teresa

• 2 weeks later...

Archived