Felting in sc question.

Carlinda

Hi all fellow felters,

I have a purse pattern that I would like to felt. However the pattern needs to be worked in sc because of the increases and decreases needed for the shape of the purse. I just can't convert it to hdc because of the height of the stitches.

Would the purse felt better if I did the sc in the back loops only? I have felted other purses that were done in sc. But after searching through the posts here have seen that many of you prefer the taller stitch of hdc. Would working in the back loops only make up for this and make much of a difference for the felting? (ha, if that makes sense?? lol)

As a side note I have felted a purse in seed or moss stitch (a sc, ch 1 stitch for those unfamiliar with it) and the felting turned out great. However I was not happy with how the color changes with that particular stitch turned out. So wanted to do it in all sc.

I ordered some beautiful self striping wool yarn and can't wait till it shows up.

Thanks in advance :hook

Carlinda

I think it will work if you use a hook several sizes larger than you would otherwise use with your yarn, so the stitches have plenty of room to shrink. Personally, I use a K hook for almost everything I felt, even with dk weight yarn. I did a purse with sc stitches and felted it, and it worked okay, although I did retain more stitch definition than with larger stitches. But it did work!

thank you for the reply.

After thinking on it for a bit, I am concerned about the back loops only leaving ridges. So, will use the large hook as I usually do and work in normal sc. Will post pics when my project is done.

Archived