Selling Ami Items?

I'm all thumbs on small stuff and working in rounds, so I've never tried ami, but I think I'm ready to try a simple pattern or two.

I see a lot of ami patterns for sale that stipulate that you can't sell the items you make from the patterns. What about those that don't specify how they may be used? I'd love to try ami, but would want to sell what I make. Am I stuck unless I can create my own? (Yea, like THAT'S ever gonna happen, LOL).

Marie Anne, we cannot give you a legal answer for any specific pattern you might want to use. There are copyright, licensing, and contract laws to consider. If a pattern doesn't specifically grant permission to sell the finished item, we suggest you contact the designer/publisher to request permission. If you don't get a response, the designer says no and you want to use the pattern anyway, or you just don't want to contact the designer, we recommend you consult with an attorney who specializes in intellectual property law to get an official legal opinion on making commercial use of that particular pattern.

Crochetville's guidelines state that we can only allow discussion (in forum posts, private messages, or email sent through the forum to another member) of sale of finished items (made from any pattern, not just ami patterns) in the following instances:

1) the seller is using their own original pattern design OR

2) the seller is using a pattern that specifically grants permission for the finished item to be sold OR

3) the seller has contacted the designer/publisher/copyright owner and received written permission to sell the finished items.

We believe it's important to respect the designer's wishes as to whether or not they approve commercial use (making items with the intent to sell them) of their patterns.

Archived