Phildar substitutions

Idaho47

I have a some patterns for doilies, mats and curtains using Phildar 5 and Phildar 8 yarn. I am having trouble finding any place in the U.S. that sells it. Does anyone know what is a good substitution for these yarns? I have never actually seen the Phildar in person, so I don't know how to compare it to the other brands. :think

Thanks.

I also have book(s) that call for the Phildar 5 and Phildar 8. I have always substituted #5 and #8 pearl thread and they have turned out beautifully. I buy my #5 and #8 at www.nordicneedle.com although I'm sure places like Joanne, etc may also carry it.

I just checked out nordicneedle.com. The #5 and #8 pearl thread I see is sold in 27 yd. skeins which would be very expensive and take many skiens for even a medium sized project. Does the numbering (5 and 8) correspond with the #3 and #10, 20, 30 that cotton thread usually comes in? In otherwords, is it finer than the #3 and thicker than the #10?

www.joann.com also has it. It comes in a smaller ball than say your #10, #20 thread, and yes, the lower the # the larger the thread; also the Pearl thread has a definite sheen to it that makes your pieces turn our beautiful. Hope this helps...

Archived