Tunisian/Afghan Stitch and Hook Size

It seems like old patterns used to be crocheted (or knit) with smaller sized tools to create a denser fabric, but the trend has been to go to up a size (or more?) for softer fabrics. I remember a G hook being a popular size 30 years ago, often for afghans for instance.

I recently worked a scarf in fingering/sock yarn, but on an H hook so the fabric/drape was a bit softer which surprised me, as I started with a G.

I am going to work an afghan in Tunisian/afghan stitch, and the older pattern calls for an H hook. An afghan needs a bit more structure to wear better, keep it's shape, etc. but am ordering hooks and so wanted to ask "crochet wisdom" if one may want to work the afghan one size up so the end product feels a bit softer?

Tunisian may change hook preferences more than other forms of crochet, so what size hook do you recommend for fingering, sport, dk, worsted, aran, bulky, etc.? Perhaps there is a table/chart somewhere?

Input would be greatly appreciated, since I haven't crocheted much in years (though I started close to 40 years ago).

TIA,

Susan

The more hooks the better :O).....but if you do not want to have to buy all the hooks .....you could buy every other so you would have a good variety of sizes.....like G and I and K......there is not a WHOLE lot of difference in each size but a lot of difference between like a G and K...then you will have different sizes when you need them for other projects:O)

The yarn was much thinner 30 years ago. My Grandmother swore by wintuk (which I cannot stand using) and I don't think it works well with bigger hooks.

I think that part of the 'using larger hooks' comes from our much lazier way of doing things now a days. Also - with all the advancements in heating and cooling we really don't need items of that density and warmth.

I've seen tunisian patterns using M and N hooks for a 'soft and flowing' drape. IT's really a matter of preference at this point. I don't care for the rigid fabric that anything smaller than a J makes.

Thanks for the input, everyone! I agree, people are into looser fabric, perhaps some because of better heating, but for sure it is faster, as we are more impatient! LOL Also, knitting and crochet was stiffer, as was tighter fitting clothes, so perhaps the two fit together. I think we are more into comfort now.

I think I will buy a full range of hooks, just surprised at how much larger a hook many use now, than say 30 years ago.

Thanks again,

Susan

Archived