RANT: knots in skein and felting

Ooooo I hate it! I have just recently pick up crocheting again and the 3 skeins I've been using (for different projects) all have incomplete yarn in them, meaning at some point they tied a knot it in and continued rolling it into a ball. It's just frustrated.

I attempted to felt my first piece yesterday (100% wool) and I put it in the machine and it didn't work very well. So I took it out and blocked to the shape I wanted (bowl shape) and my cat sat in it, so it's squished.....

Looks like i'll have to refelt it again (since it didn't really felt much in the washer, it's a very small piece so I'll try it by hand).

*End Rant*

:cheer

Sometimes it is easier just to hand-felt smaller items, especially if you don't know if your water needs soap or baking soda to change the pH. It's a good way to get your frustrations out; and if you have a potato masher handy have a smashing good time as well.

Sometimes it is easier just to hand-felt smaller items, especially if you don't know if your water needs soap or baking soda to change the pH. It's a good way to get your frustrations out; and if you have a potato masher handy have a smashing good time as well.

Thanks so much Kathy. The site I went by didn't mention soap or anything, I used hot water and ran it through checking every 7 or 8 minutes....it kinda felted....it's fuzzy, but not how I'd imagine it. I found another site that says to use a drop of dish soap, I'll try that.

Yes, a drop ONLY ONE! of dish soap, and a handful of baking soda; the item in a zipped or well pinned pillowcase (to collect the fuzzy and prevent plumber bills) and then some old jeans for friction in the washing machine on the lowest setting with the hottest water (you can even add hot water from the kettle to the washer).

I agree with everything Kathy said, but wanted to add that I've noticed that different colors felt at different rates. Whenever I've used off-white wool, it requires much more time in the washer. By the way, I think your kitty is just trying to show you that she appreciates your hard work!

Archived