Mixing wools to felt?

quirkyvirgo

I started PJ's felted hook case last night out of a hank of Crystal Palace 100% Peruvian and was sure I would have enough. Well it was enough, FOR THE BACK! Still have to do the pockets and just called my LYS (got the first hank in Salt Lake City) and they don't carry Peruvian. Any advice on mixing wools? Could I just find something that's 100% that feels similar?

Thanks in advance,

Tandi

do you have enough scraps to do a quick test swatch? If not, I'd go for another 100% wool of the similar weight -- lamb's pride worsted, lopi or lite lopi, one of the knit pick lines, etc.

When you full, you'll want to keep a good eye on it throughout the process. Some line might full quicker than the other, so you might have to full one of the yarns by hand after fulling the entire hook case. Also, if some shrinks more than the other, you might have to do some serious stretch-blocking afterwards.

If you do a test swatch with the different yarns you'll have a much better idea of whether they shrink the same... you could also work them up separately and then attach them after fulling!

Thanks Jess. I actually found a lone hank of Peruvian at my LYS. Didn't have the same color, so the salmon-ey red hook case will have teal pockets, but I think it may work out.

Tandi

Archived