help with pattern and homespun gauge

benee16

Question

I am starting a sweater pattern with homespun and the guage says

in size K hook 5dc = 2"

and 4 rows = 2"

Could that be wrong? I did 2 rows for 2 inches and 2.5 stitches in K I moved to a J with 2.5 rows and 3,5 stitches now to an I with 3 rows and 5 stitches, but since its homespun and a sweater, I'm thinking that I really don't want to go too tight because it will be too warm to wear. The pattern is from this book

http://www.anniesattic.com/detail.html?prod_id=6313

and its the striped one to the left.

What are your thoughts? The pattern seems to be written for the gauge specified, but 4 dc rows? I'd have to crochet so tightly to get that.

Denise

4 answers to this question

wish I could help, I always have to go up several hook sizes when working with homespun, I have never yet been able to use the recomended hook lol. If nothing else this will bump your question up and hopefully someone can help =)

Are you sure it is a US pattern you have there?:think :think :think

You may find that you should be doing SC instead of DC. If it is a European or English pattern, you need to use SC for DC, and DC for TR etc.

Have a good close-up look at your picture.

We have this trouble all the time but in reverse as we learned on the Euro & English patterns then lots of US patterns turned up in the shops and we wondered why they did not work out.

It takes a while to get the hang of it but once you have mentaly changed a few, it is easy.

The Gauge to me looks more like you should be doing your SC, unless it is very fine yarn

Hope this is helpful.:hug :hug :hug

Have fun.

Colleen

Its a US pattern. Its pretty basic, so I'll just fudge it. Its just that knowing homespun yarn and how thick it is, and the needle size, I can't see how they got that guage. Maybe they meant to write sc instead of dc. I'll try that first to see if that makes much difference.

Denise

I have the same problem with Homespun too. I want to make a sweater for my toddler daughter and am afraid the size will come out wrong. My pattern is a US pattern from Lion Brand. The pattern stitch is SC-DC-SC-DC... , so I'm not sure how to reduce the stitches. Hopefully some more posts here will give some insight. Hope your project turns out well.

Archived