Why I love to block garments

I'm finishing up a Tall Latte from Doris Chan's book Everyday Crochet, using Queensland Collection Cotton Bamboo, with an I hook (and H hook for the lower 3/4 of the sleeves to taper them). I finished the body and one sleeve, then blocked it to check the fit before doing the 2nd sleeve. I then completed the 2nd sleeve and it has not been blocked yet. I think the contrast between the crocheted fabric in the unblocked and blocked state is striking. To block, I soaked in water with a bit of Eucalan, squeezed out the excess water, and laid it flat to dry, gently shaping and smoothing it but not pulling on the fabric. The stitches relaxed and I think you can see in the photos that the unblocked sleeve (on the left) is much less smooth than the blocked one.

I had the same experience with the Jewel I made, using Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool, but I didn't manage to get a good photo of the contrast between the blocked and unblocked portions.

Anyway, i thought I'd share this for anyone who is interested in what blocking can do for natural fibers.

post-10356-135897429597_thumb.jpg

post-10356-135897429601_thumb.jpg

post-10356-135897429604_thumb.jpg

post-10356-135897429608_thumb.jpg

Beautiful sweater!

You are so right about blocking! It can make a huge difference on a garment. Quite a while ago I had crocheted a top using a cotton yarn (I can't for the life of me remember what yarn it was) and it was a bit small on me....so when I blocked it, I stretched it a bit....when it was dry...voila! Perfect fit.

Archived