software recommendations for charting

does anyone have a recommendation for software that can produce stitch charts? I'm looking for something that can handle any kind of stitch.

also, what about software for pattern design and writing? not sure if there's anything out there that can help with putting out multiple sizes etc.

thanks,

Teresa

Teresa, I don't think there really is much out there that will help with creating multiple sizes of patterns.

Some of the math gets pretty complex and variable when you're working with decorative stitch patterns and needing to increase and decrease to create shaping. There are so many variables I think it would be pretty hard to come up with a formula that would work.

Thanks Amy - that's what I thought... bummer...

I'd like to include stitch charts in my patterns and am drawing them by hand now and scanning them into my Word doc. I thought there might be a program out there that would generate a stitch chart image file... for example, if I specified that row 1 was sc, dc, sc, dc, sc... the program would produce a picture of the standard graphic notations for those stitches.

does that make sense?

-Teresa

Archived