Bar Soap / Sponge Pouch

I picked up a pattern the other day and wondering if anyone else has made this.

You crochet a little pouch (2 sides) and slip a oval sponge into the pouch. Then you crochet a cute border around the pouch.

You can now sit a bar of soap on top of this little pouch. Once I got home I check some of my soap dishes and it looks like the pouch will sit perfectly on the dish.

I haven't started looking for the sponges yet, but will start at a dollar store. I'm sure if I can't find any oval ones, I could cut out a oval sponge or piece of foam.

I know many do not use bar soap anymore, but I still do in the bathtub or shower.

Seems like my bars of soap "melt" in the dish and maybe this will be a good thing.

Looks like they are using cotton yarn, not sure. Has anyone else tried this?

Peggy Pennie

I have not seen that but it sounds like a good idea. Then when the soap "melts" you can use the pouch till the soap is gone. Hummm, good idea. I think it would have to be cotton yarn. Now you got me thinking. That is good tho, gotta keep the brain working. lol.

Thanks for replying......I sort of think the regular Red Heart (worsted) could be used also. I think I will make up one in cotton and one in worsted just to find out. Maybe the Red Heart will become gummy and the bar will stick - compared to the cotton......not sure.

When I saw the finished one all I could think was ...... how cute is that!

Peggy Pennie

I love things that are different and still useful. That is what makes crocheting fun. You may be right tho about the Red Heart, it will dry faster than cotton. My soap sits in the sun because I have a window in the shower so the cotton may dry there too.

It really sounds like a good idea tho.

Archived