yarn conversion help

I've been wondering this myself recently. I'm guessing if you're using a thinner yarn you'd use a bigger hook and work up a swatch to see if the guage is still right. I'm sure there's got to be something more scientific than that.

Thanks, I thought of that except that might make the work more loop-y, I was thinking of making a pair of gloves, so I'm not sure that would work, but thanks for answering, I've been posting this question all over the web, no one seems to know, or, doesn't answer, and I can't seem to find a pair of gloves or mittens with thinner yarn.

Ah yes, I wasn't sure what you were making. For something where you want a tight weave you'd probably have to come up with something on your own (since you'd need to increase both the number of stitches per row and the number of rows to maintain density). If you're not looking for a particular textures you could probably just wing it by starting from your wrist and crocheting down the palm and fingers. When you get to where you want the thumb to start just start turning instead of countinuing in the round to make the hole and then you'll have to make a seperate thumb to attach. It's been my experience that once I make something in simple SCs or DCs that I understand the shaping enough to do something more elaborate the next time.

Hopefully one of the more experienced crocheters will have an answer for you, though.

• 2 weeks later...

If the pattern you want to use has a diagram with the measurements, you can work up a guage swatch and then increase the number of rows and stitches/pattern repeats from there. Since I've never seen a glove pattern that had a diagram, your best bet would probably be to work up the pattern as it is written and then trace the finished glove, or trace a glove that you already have that is the size and style that you want.

Say, for instance, you are working in sc and you need the palm to be 5 inches across and 6 inches tall, based on a swatch, how many stitches and rows would you need? Do the same with the fingers and thumb and use the origional pattern as a guide to the assembly.

There are also several vintage patterns for women's gloves made in thinner yarns or threads. Check out CPC

Thanks, Wiste and Forestergirl, I'm not very good at improvising, I'm actually one of those people who need a pattern. I guess I'll look for another pattern. (although, by the time I find and make them, it'll probably be too warm to wear them!) Thanks again.

Archived