Having trouble with the afghan stitch

Meant2BMommy

Question

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

The pattern says to chain 52 loosely, which I did. Then it says to do an afghan stitch all the way across; you should have 52 loops on the hook. Then yarn over, and pull the yarn through one loop. Yarn over, then pull the yarn through two loops until there is one loop left. I can do all that. But when I start the second row it doesn't look right to me. Granted, I've never seen an afghan stitch up close so I might be wrong. I do know that I am supposed to have 52 loops on the hook when I do row 2, and I only have 50.

Okay, I guess I don't even really know what I'm asking here. :P What I really want is for one of you to come over to my house and show me how to do it. :lol

I don't know if I can word this right, but when you put the hook behind the vertical post to YO and pull the loop back through, are you supposed to put the hook behind both strands of the vertical post, or only one?

2 answers to this question

Guest SamplerLady
mmouseplus.gif
But when I start the second row it doesn't look right to me.
Keep going! The row you feel "doesn't look right" will look fine once you work across and then come back. The "doesn't look right" row is sloppy and loose in comparison, but once you pull the yarn through it (working off the stitches) it'll look fine. Tutorial

Thank you so much! I tried to find an afghan stitch tutorial online last night so I could see what it is supposed to look like, but I couldn't find any decent pictures. The tutorial you linked me to has a great picture and it looks like mine. I guess I am doing it right :D

Thanks!

Archived