Vintage Hook Sizes

Okay, I made a thread in the Crochet help forum asking questions about a vintage pattern. In this pattern it calls for me to use Bucilla Twinklesheen, which apparently hasn't been made in over 10 years (I contacted the company), and the only thing I have found out about it is that it was a size 14 crochet thread.

Enough about yarn, to the hooks!

I was wondering if anyone here happens to have any vintage crochet hooks, as my pattern calls for a #9 plastic crochet hook. Now I took that to mean a current size I-9 hook, but a few others have said it could be a #9 steel hook. The pattern says to hold 2 strands of this Twinklesheen together to work it.

What I want to know is if someone can show/tell me about sizes of older crochet hooks, are they about the same as they are now, or drastically different? Any help would be so very appreciated, thanks!

A size 9 British size vintage hook equates to a size E (4) in a US size. In vintage British sizes for aluminum and plastic hooks the bigger the size the smaller the hook.

Regardless you should use the size hook to fit the yarn and to get the gage.

Good luck with your project, be sure to let us see it when you get it completed.

Emily

Archived