How do you write a pattern?

I know how to read patterns, so I have all the abbreviations down pat. Where do you start at writing patterns??? I love making amigarumi-type animals, toys etc.... I really want to start selling them, but they're not my patterns so I can't. So, I'm now thinking of just writing my own and then I can sell to my heart's desire. So, again.....where do I start??? Help! I'm thinking dogs, cows, hippos, pigs etc.....:think

Maybe I can offer you a few hints, that I have used when preparing patterns, One rule of thuimb I like to keep in mind is that the person following the new pattern may never have done such a one before, trying to advance their skills, so being thorough is very important. Anyone with more experience will just skip over such things, but it should be there for the novice. Perhaps offering a scale as to whether your pattern is suitable for Beginners, or Intermediate, or Advanced. It is what I like to think of as having to know how to turn on the oven before attempting to make Baked Alaska Theory. :lol

A nice, clear photo of the finished article, this is a must, since it is what will get folks to want to make it.

List all the Equipment, and that means everything that will be needed in order to finish the project, even if it seems rather unneccessary - if you used bobbins, or cable holders, or saftey pins, hook and scissors, add them to this list.

Next, a Materials list, list the kind, weight and amount of yarn, and any other materials used to make the article. Brand names could be noted under the photo, but not an absolute.

All Abbreviations used and explain any uncommon stitches - I had to cal my Gramma the first time see "throw triple treble cluster over next stitch" :eek

Pattern, give specifics: List all rows and rounds, explain everything, does the beginning chains count as the first sitich, where and how to join the rows or rounds, or not to join. Giving a stitch count at the end of each row or round is nice to check against to see if the work is progressing correctly.

Double checking written instructions, if you have someone who can follow yours and does not have any questions or run into problems, great enlist their help! I did not when making up knitted two-needle babysoft-shoes, so had to write them as I made one bootie, lay it aside, work on the next style, then later go back and using my own written instructions only, make up the second bootie to match. It was a good way to catch mistakes, re-check stitch count and see if there was any places that needed clarification.

I guess in my long-winded way, just give it a go and keep in mind the person only has your instructions to guide them to a fine finsihed article.

Hope this helped a little, :)

Beaglelover,

:blush Oops, soory, if I was not such a newbie here, I would have just directed you to look int he "Design Den" thread, where I think you will probably find the answers you are looking for. :)

Archived