width/length of wrap for my mom?

I've been thinking about making my mom a pocket wrap for christmas and I'm not sure the width or length to make it. I seen the patriotic pocket wrap on the lionbrand site but I think 70 inches is too long for my mom who is only 5'3 and since I'll probably have to shorten it I'm wondering if I'll have to make it narrower(is that even a word?)too. Any suggestions on a good width/length to make it for a short(or undertall as my mom says) person?

Priscilla

You can probably figure it out this way.

To make a shawl without a pattern, it is customary to start with a chain that will stretch approx fingertip to fingertip. When you don't know how far that is on a particular person, it is usually the same as their height. Unless a shawl is supposed to be quite large or small, this is a good way to gauge.

Since your mother is 63" tall, a 70" shawl would look too large for her, so you are correct in wanting to shorten it somewhat. I would make it 63" or smaller in length. Personally, I would probably make it 60".

You might want to take off a couple rows of the width also, but it depends on the original width.

I agree with Real Deal, especially if your mother wears it like people normally wear shawls. Personally, mine seem to spend a lot of time tied behind my back, after going over my shoulders, and so I like them a little longer (and I'm on the smaller side too, so that's just normally the way they come).

I think for width though, it depends whether it's pure fashion, or if there is also practical use in keeping warm being gotten out of it. Because I think the original width is probably fine if she will be using it to keep warm, and not just fashionable, but if fashion is the main goal, with warmth being an added bonus, then yeah, I'd maybe take a little off the width also.

Archived