Starting a Crocheting Group

So, I'm a university student, and for a while I have been tossing around the idea of starting a student group for crocheters (and probably other crafters, too). I've been making Project Linus blankets on my own for a while, but it does get expensive, and I'd love to be able to do fundraisers in order to buy the supplies. Also, if my group got off the ground, I'd want to donate locally. We have the Champaign County Humane Society, a rape crisis center...lots of people/pets that need cuddling. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get started?

http://www.crochet.org/chapkit.html

The Crochet Guild site has a ququick article on ideas for forming groups. The Knitting Guild and Craft and Yarn Council probably do as well. Check, too, under needlepoint/cross-stitch/embroidery, sewing/quilting, and whatever other craft official sites. There may be information there as well. You can gleen some 'start a group' info from places like the American Diabetes Association and other support organization (Depression, heart disease, cancer, etc).

You can check with whatever your school calls their 'student life activities office' - some schools require all campus groups to be registered, some don't. Some will actually help you set groups up. Many schools have a 'this week's charity' and hold donation/money drives or just a table where people can pick up information (some may welcome your afghan as a raffle item to generate funds for their cause as well as providing you with some free advertising for group members - in many places, raffles have to be legally set up (gambling) and approved by the school).

If your group accepts donations to make charity items (especially cash) you may need to keep financial records, even if you don't have to register as a non-profit business (laws vary from place to place). Ditto for saless of items made. Sounds like a hassle, but it's not really a problem to do it. If needed, your school should be able to guide you through it.

I think it's a great idea to start a group.

You can decide on whether it's a just for fun group (meaning everyone works on whatever they want) or a charity group that makes things for others.

I have belonged to a group that meets once a week and I just love it. It's a chance to sit down, talk about whatever and work on projects at the same time. I really look forward to my meetings on Friday morning. Kind of makes the week go better, knowing Friday is time for me.

Post notices in the dorms, and other halls. Get an ad in the University's paper. Have an article written by a staff member talking about the group.

And most of all, enjoy the group.

:manyheart Good luck.

Archived