Crochet at MOMA

LeahB

I went to the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) on Friday, and I was exploring, I was surprised to see one piece that was a series of found objects. These were afghans and crocheted dolls that had been discarded and the artist had found and organized into a display as a piece of art. As I was looking at them, I even noticed that one of the afghans even had a tag that said "Handcrafted for you by Mary." Two of the afgans were very basic designs, I think they were just dc stripes. One was a pattern I know I have seen somewhere, but can't remember where - it was some sort of shells with stripes. The fourth looked like it took the most work of all. It was a pieced afghan comprised of hexagons that had some sort of color pattern in them (and perhaps a fancy stitch pattern as well... I can't remember). I was wishing that I had had a camera with me so I could share pictures with everyone.

I guess the bottom line is, you never know where those unappreciated crocheted gifts will end up... they could even become part of an art exhibition in the MOMA! :hook

Archived