shrinking a hat

kannd86

Question

Sorry this isn't exactly a crochet question. I made a hat for the first time and it turned out kind of big. I was thinking I could wet it and shrink it a little in the dryer. I wanted to ask if that was a good idea before going through with it and possibly ruining the hat. It's a wool silk blend.

7 answers to this question

You might not have a lot of control over how much it shrinks that way.... can you frog it back to one row past where it starts to get too big and then (not doing any increases) re-work it working each row even? or can you thread a ribbon, or a piece of yarn through and cinch it up a bit?

I think my only hope is to shrink it a little bit. I tried spritzing it and drying it with the hair dryer, but I don't think it made much of a difference. This time I'll wet it more and let it air dry, see if that makes a difference. As long as it doesn't felt lol. Thanks for your suggestions.

So... that didn't work. I've decided to felt the hat because that would ensure shrinkage. I put it in the washing machine with a few other items with hot water and detergent, but it won't felt. It seems to be getting more stretched out. It's not a superwash wool. The instructions say to gently hand wash it and let it air dry, so I figured it would felt if agitated it with soapy water. I'm thinking of turning it into a little basket if it doesn't want to be a hat. Does anyone have any advice before I give up?

kannd86, I shrink hats all of the time so I'm a bit confused about your problems. Use the hottest water you can and a little detergent, but you said you have done this! Very confusing to me that it did not shrink!! Perhaps the color is the issue. Most of the lighter colors....white, cream, pale yellow do not shrink, what color are you working with? Also I always use Lamb's Pride, I can depend on the shrinkage to be consistant so no worries with your work that way. Keep shrinking it in the washer but put in some boiled water as a boost to the temps then when it's thr right size, almost.....rinse in the coldest water to set it to shape. Hope this will help!

Karen

Is the hat made from synthetic fiber or natural fiber. If it is made from a synthetic, it's not really going to shrink. Natural fibers will shrink to a greater or lesser degree. Plant fibers: cotton, bamboo; may shrink some, while animal fibers: alpaca, wool, mohair; will shrink more...and if not careful will felt instead of just "shrink:.

Why not run some elastic through the bottom? That would be the best way to tighten everything up.

Some blends just don't felt well... I think in your case, only the wool would felt... Depending on the percent of each fiber, that will make a difference.

I know for me, I just felted a bag over the summer, and I needed to wash it in scalding hot water three times before it stopped... Not to mention running it through the dryer a few times as well.

fill your washer to the level you need (probably low to medium, since it's just a small hat) with the hottest water possible - you might even add a pot of boiling water off the stove just to make sure you have the water really hot. Add a little baking soda (like 1/4 cup) instead of detergent. Add the hat and something else like jeans to help with the agitation (don't use towels or anything that will shed, though!) Put the washer on the longest agitation cycle and agitate until just before the washer begins to drain. Stop the washer and check the hat to see how much it has felted. If is it lightly felted, which might be all you need to shrink the hat enough for your needs, then stop here. If you need to felt more, without draining the water - reset the washer to the beginning of the longest agitation cycle and repeat. Once the hat has felted enough for you, rinse in cold water and spin dry. Remove hat from washer and tug and pull into shape, then put over something like a bowl to air dry for about 24 hours.

Archived