SNB Cupcake Sweater

Leviswife

Question

I am shaping for the neckline and no matter what I do, I don't get down to the right number of stitches that I'm supposed to work even on. I had 42 stitches when I marked the center 18, which means I had 12 stitches on either side of the 18 center stitches. I decreased 1 in row 1 and then another 2 (one on either side) on row 3, and in rows 4 and 5, you're supposed to decrease another 2 (one on either side), which would leave me with 7 stitches instead of 9. Anyone know what I did wrong? I can't figure it out and I've been sitting here with my mom looking at the pattern and she can't see what is wrong either. Help!!!

Thanks,

Mandi

3 answers to this question

Hi,

I'll try to help. I assume you're making the medium, since that is the size that is supposed to have 9 on either side. First of all, when you start shaping the neckline, you should have 46 st not 42. If you're making the medium, you had 48 st at the shape armhole beginning. Since you will only do 1 dec row (instead of 4 like for the back) that gives you 46 st. Then, if you mark the center 18 st, you'll have 14 st on each side.

For the shape neck directions, on row 1 you will dec 1 (on the armhole side) leaving you with 13 st/side. On row 2, you work even. Then on row 3, you dec twice (one of the arm side, one on the neck side), which gives you 11 st/side. Then you repeat row 2 and 3 one more time (i.e dec on row 3) and you end up with 9 st/side. Then you work even on 9 for the remainder of the rows.

I hope this helps. Feel free to reply or PM if you still need help!

Archived