Question about photo-fabric

dragontatt

Question

Hi all,

I've been busy working on a pair of personalized dolls for a friend of mine, and I'm getting to the face details. Now, I am not the best embroiderer by far, and I was wondering if it anyone had ever used photo-fabric to print a picture.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2800&PRODID=prd54243

This is the sorta thing I was thinking...

I was thinking I could *iron* the face on, and then add hair and whatever else. Would the iron-on stuff work with a head made of yarn? If I used fusible-webbing stuff would it work?

I have no clue about any of this, so any hints would be helpful.

Thanks in advance~

Vivian

2 answers to this question

I think this is the type of fabric that is backed with paper - you just run it through your color printer just like paper and print right onto the fabric. I've used these types of printer fabric sheets before with good success. Much better than the iron on type. Do try to feed it through the route on your printer that keeps the paper the most flat. I used to have a color printer where it had a tray that opened on the back so the fabric went through completely flat, but then I got a new printer. With this printer (Epson) I find that I can't use the feeder where the paper is standing straight up - I have to put the fabric sheet in the drawer and print it from there.

I quilt and I've used this fabric for several projects. Some sheets are better than others, but I think it should work great for doll faces. My quilts have been washed several times, and the color remains. DO NOT USE A LASER PRINTER. That is the most important rule. Also, if you have trouble with the sheet jamming, if you put a piece of clear tape folded over the leading edge of the sheet, it helps the printer pull the paper through better. Also, don't use the 'photo' ink. Regular inkjet ink is the best.

Good luck.

Archived