Artificial Silk?

I have a vintage pattern that does not state the yarn to use. This is the only thing it states:

"The artificial silk, such as is used for sweaters, "

:thinkAnyone have an idea of what this might translate to in today's terms?

So I had to search around for you. :) This is what I found out... Artificial Silk is usually viscouse rayon made from cotton waste (so it's environmentally friendly and recycled). They dissolve the cellulose from the cotton in a liquid called viscose and they get fibers, which are then spun into yarn, or woven into fabric. DuPont bought the technology from the French in the 1920s and called it "artificial silk." They started a company to manufacture it (DuPont Fibersilk Company) and things like nylon and acrylic followed after that. :D The perk is, obviously, it's cheaper than the real thing. Woohoo! :yay

So... that doesn't exactly tell you what you should use instead or where to get something like what the pattern calls for... And there's the problem. I Googled more and only came up with trade/import/export- type links and it doesn't appear that anyone sells it anymore, except in massive quantities for rugs. I even went to DuPont's website to see if that could tell me anything.

Does the pattern give you any type of gauge? If it does, you might just have to guestimate until you get it, or something close.

Sorry I couldn't help 100%! :(

Thank you, that was very interesting! :) The only thing the pattern states is: "Use a hook that will carry the material smoothly." :think

It is actually a hat pattern and there are no measurements for the finished piece and no gauge. A lot of the vintage patterns (I have found) are this way. I have one that just says to "work until you have a certain number of rows". It doesn't say how to work the rows or what stitches to use or anything. People in the "olden" days must have been a lot smarter! :blush

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that about some vintage patterns I've found online. I've heard we use a smaller percentage of our brains than people used to, so maybe that's the problem. :P

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I have no idea how to help now!! haha

The gauge is the best way to figure out what yarn to use. Does it say how many stitches to chain to begin? Or do you start at the top and work down to the bottom number of stitches? Divide that number by the number of inches around your head, and you have the gauge of stitches per inch.Then look for a yarn with that recommended gauge. Nowadays you have your pick of many different kinds of fiber. You might want to try bamboo or soysilk.although rayon has such a nice drape to it.

The gauge is the best way to figure out what yarn to use. Does it say how many stitches to chain to begin? Or do you start at the top and work down to the bottom number of stitches? Divide that number by the number of inches around your head, and you have the gauge of stitches per inch.

:eek Who knew I'd have to know math to crochet??? :devil It actually starts at the top and works in the round for awhile, there are no measurements, no gauges -- I tried making it in worsted weight and it came out WAY too big but the photo of the finished piece looks like a more substantial yarn so I don't know. :think Thanks for the tips and the information.

Archived