Can't find a stitch my mother used to do

yipeiokyay

Question

Hello,

When I was younger my motherm who has since passed, used to make afghans/blankets that were hexagon shaped. Not a bunch of squared sewn together to make a hex but one large hexagon.

The stitch, I fear, may have been her own creation but I am going to keep searching until the last stone has been turned over. It was very similar to a puff stitch in that it...well was sort of puffy. The best way to describe it is that it was a two sided stitch (no front or back....it looked the same either way) and it was a bunch of strands that looked, like the puff stitch, like a triangle (upside down or right side up...depending on how you were looking at the blanket I suppose).

It was like a puffy "V" then a chain or 2 then another puffy "V" then another chain or two. Round and round as big or as small as you wanted. It could be a place mat, a rug, or as she would do a large blanket.

I really want to figure this out but it has been a long time since I have done it so I don't remember how and I will only know it when I see it.

Has anyone ever seen anything like what I am describing? I have looked everywhere on the internet and in various crochet books. I have asked ladies who have crocheted for years and I have had no luck in finding this particular pattern/stitch.

For some reason I have a need to make one of these blankets. Maybe to honor her memory or just to recapture a bit of my childhood...I don't know but I sure hope that someone out there can help me find this.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me.

Peggy Chatterton

9 answers to this question

Many moons ago, I used to make rugs that were hexagon shaped (one big hexagon) It was made with a popcorn stitch. I have also made hexagon shaped rug blankets for an animal shelter. I will see if I can find the patterns for both, and see if this is what you are looking for.

Here's one version, and it can be made any size you like:

http://promotions.drgnetwork.com/newsletters/talkingcrochet/pages/TCNL3006_patt2.html

Here is another that is similar to the popcorn stitch:

http://home.wideopenwest.com/~sag55/fghex.html

There are a couple of others, but I will need a little time to find them.

Thanks for your help Daisy. While the popcorn stitch is the right shape the difference is that the stitch is straight threads with nothing going through the middles....they look more like the puff stitch or like a straw broom bottom.

YarnDiva....I wish I had a picture. That would make everything so much easier. All I have is a 35 year old memory of what it looked like.

I may have done something similar (based on a pattern I saw once somewhere) for a nylon yarn patio rug (long since gone after moving several times). Kind of like a hex shaped granny, but the three dc are crocheted together and the ch2 makes up for the decrease. Does that make sense? Looks like a puffy v or two almond shapes touching at one tip. Not really fat enough to be a real puff/bauble, but thinker than just a regular stitch so they sort puffed out a little - yeah, I know, not really a clear description :-) It's been that kind of a day for me LOL

I think that stitch is one from a pattern for hexagon shaped rugs from Aunt Lydia's Rug yarn. My mother used to make rugs. You chained a number of stitches. Joined them then went into the circle, pulled up the yarn somehow 3 times and it made a stitch like the one you described. If I can find my old rug I will take a picture of it. It is falling apart, but can't bear to part with it. My mom died in 2003.

I couldn't stand it and had to go look in my collection of really old patterns. I think I found the description of how to make the stitch! It was on a pattern sheet for Aunt Lydia's rug yarn. It is for a rug, tank cover, and seat cover, but I still think it is the same stitch. It is called a "puff".

Puff

YO, insert hook in st, draw up loop, YO, insert hook in stitch, YO, draw through all 5 loops on hook.

Large Puff.

YO, insert hook in stitch, draw up a loop, YO, insert hook in stitch, YO, insert hook in stitch, YO, draw through all 7 loops on hook.

For the rug this pattern says use 2 strands of yarn throughout.

Try this and let me know if it looks like your mother's stitch!

I think to make the hexagon, you chain 5, join with slip stitch. Then make 5 puffs in the circle. Then make a puff and chain one, another puff in each space between the center puffs. After that it is kind of like making a granny square. A single puff in each space except the corners where you make puff, chain 1 puff. I will see if I can scan this pattern and put the file on

Archived