A Confession!

:cheer Just to throw another idea into the mix, the original poster seems to have been trying to do what we call a DC but in the US is called a SC.

I think she has just not been able to describe what she did.

BlondieAggiee seems to be also confusing the US & UK/Europe versions of stitches because she is right, the DC is best described with 2 loops and the TR with three which is how it is with the UK/Europe version.

The best way to work out which sort of pattern you have is to look at the origin of the book then look to see if there is a SC mentioned. This will be a US pattern.

If it only starts with a DC and nothing smaller, (other than a SL ST which is just for joining) it will be a UK/Europe pattern.

It is very easy once you get going and you will find it simple to go from one to the other.

I liken it to my 3yr old Grandaughter going to live in France and picking up the French language but being able to work out when she needs to use English.

If you need any more help. dont hesitate to ask because it is realy easier to learn the "Right" way than wonder why some patterns look funny when you do them, then try to un-learn bad habits.

I agree with others that you should do what you feel looks good but why not learn properly now.

If you are crocheting one way and everyone else another, we wont be able to help you sort out problems as they come up because we will not all be speaking the same language.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Jenn---That is what I did...only now I'm guilty of only going through the back loops!!! Oh....will I ever get anything right?

Ok, I took a picture of the blanket I made for DS 3 years old that he "claimed" before I could finish it, but you can't see the stitches well.

Here is how I do it, only without both loops:

http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/c...?content_id=70

I agree that there is no wrong way, this is an art! Another thing to watch out for is the European verses the American way of crochet. Our slip is their single, this to can mess you up! I have been caught several times!

Archived