working with hand painted yarn

insurechick

I have want may seem like a stupid question to those of you that dye your own yarn...but I've never worked with hand painted/dyed yarns...so chalk it up to ignorance!

I'm considering buying some handpainted yarn, but wanted to find out if there are specific care directions that you need to be aware of? Do you have to be careful when washing...do you even wash or is drycleaning recomended so the color doesn't run? Anything else I should know? Apparently the yarn has a slight vinegar smell...any tricks to get that smell out?

Thanks for your patience those of you to which this is old hat!

I have want may seem like a stupid question to those of you that dye your own yarn...but I've never worked with hand painted/dyed yarns...so chalk it up to ignorance!

I'm considering buying some handpainted yarn, but wanted to find out if there are specific care directions that you need to be aware of? Do you have to be careful when washing...do you even wash or is drycleaning recomended so the color doesn't run? Anything else I should know? Apparently the yarn has a slight vinegar smell...any tricks to get that smell out?

Thanks for your patience those of you to which this is old hat!

No worries....don't think it's stupid...if you don't ask, how do you know?? LOL Care instructions depend on the type of yarn you're buying. For me, for instance, I include care instructions with all my handpainted yarns - they can be handwash or machine wash depending on the yarn. My yarns also do not have a vinegar smell - I don't use vinegar when dyeing....LOL I also gently wash the yarns with a bit of wool soap to make it smell fresh but not fragrant.

As for colour not running - it's best to use a cool wash to wash handpainted yarns in - warm water likes to pick up dyes and if it does run, it's not the actual colour coming out but rather the excess dye that didn't come out when dyeing/washing the yarn originally.

Hope that helps!

Archived