Just the basics

xampx

Ive just found 1 ball of 100% wool in my stash so i was thinking i would make some Mary Jane slippers and felt them.

My questions are:

• Do they shrink when you felt them or change size or shape in any way?
  • Is it possible to do it by hand without a washing machine as our washing machine is always in use by other people. Also the wool is cream and so i dont want to put it in the wash with my old trainers and blue jeans in case it changes colour

Thanks AM

Yes, felting shrinks the wool. It pulls the stitches tight together so you can't even see them anymore and there are no little holes between them. You'd have to make the slippers bigger than you want them to be to accomodate for the shrinking. You can do a test swatch and felt it to get a general idea of how much it will shrink and therefore how much bigger you'll need to make the slippers.

Yes, you can do it by hand. It takes longer and you'll have pruny hands, but it can be done. If you have a washboard or something bumpy to rub it on, that will help speed it up. I've read about people doing it in a dishpan in the tub and using a (new) plunger for agitation. I've only done small things by hand and depending on just how small, I either used a washboard or for tiny things I just rubbed it furiously between my hands.

Archived