Need handle advice for a soon to be fulled bag

annebear

Hello all,

I have made a bag that I plan on fulling but I am now at a crossroads in the handle department. The pattern is the "well traveled" bag that I found on crochet pattern central. The pattern calls for putting gromets on the sides and makes handles out of braided leather. My issue is that I used this yummy chocolate brown for the main color - but have looked everywhere and can't find leather that matches or even compliments it. I have plenty of yarn left to make some handles but am unsure how to go about it. Since I am going to full it and I know the bag will shrink a lot, how do I decide on the length of the handles? What's the best way to make handles? Is it better to attach them on the inside or outside? I thought about making a long strip, folding it over, and then crocheting "together" then attaching it - What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!:)

Anne

I recieved a bag in a purse swap from crochetdive and the handles were knotted or something like that, since I have never felted and I am not as talented as her, you should look her up in the member directory and pm her, I know that she would love to help you!

Huggs

Val

Anne: I have only made one purse, you can see it on my blog (link below). The handle was make with 200 rows of 7 sc then I sc on both long sides. I then sewed it onto the bag. Perhaps this will help.

Hey,

Thanks for the tips ladies. I ended up cheating though - I found this great cream rope trim at Walmart that I used as handles. The cream matched perfectly and made a cute accent. Plus this will buy me more time to experiment with future handles for future bags!

Thanks again:clap

Anne

:)

Great Idea! Handles are a sore point for me too. I made a 'Lucy style' strap of 100 hdc and it seems to have felted SO tightly I'm going to do a longer one on my made to order bag cause its for someone who wants a fairly long strap.

Archived